protein skimmer purchase question.......

vipers

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2008
ok.. well, ive decided to convert my 150g freshwater tank into a salt.....

ive already bought my wet/dry which is a eshopps WD-300CS..... its a 300g wet/dry, but im gonna get a 240g when i get a bigger place, and dont wanna have to buy another one later...and it never hurts to go bigger;) lol

ok, the question.... i need a protein skimmer and have been getting the ruaround on which is a good one in my price range.... (around $300)

ive been told the berlin X2 turbo is a great product
Red Sea Berlin X2 TURBO Protein Skimmer w/Pump+Hang-On - eBay (item 250255708349 end time Sep-02-08 15:20:56 PDT)

and also the coralife super skimmer....

what do you guys think? thanks in advance!*PEACE!*

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
If it were my tank, I would return the wet/dry and use it to fund a better skimmer. I would probably go with an Aqua C EV (I think the 400 is what you would want for your tank and future plans) or perhaps a Euroreef or Deltec, . The two skimmers you have mentioned are not really up to the job and not really that great.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i agree the wet dry isnt really needed in a reef tank... u could actually use a regular tank like for example i used my old 55g for my sump and just siliconed in a few baffles and made a fuge section to grow macro algea to help with the nutrient export, with that said $300 will get u a descent skimmer especially if u buy used! u want a 240g so like u said before " it never hurts to go bigger".... not a fan of the coralife SS but the aquaC EV series is good (so i hear) and im more than happy with my current skimmer "my reef creations" MRC-2, i used to have a tunze 9010 and it was really good if you dont have much space

vipers

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2008
oh oh oh..... sorry.... its a fish tank... not a reef tank....... my bad...... maybe that will help better..... there will be around 150lbs of live rock (i have 80lbs. right now)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
my thoughts exactly. Though I do think the person who sold you the wet/dry is probably the one who recommended the skimmer choice too?

I have a euroreef and I love it, I have used aqua c skimmers and they are quality also. You really only need a really good skimmer and live rock along with a good sized sump with some macro in it. Hopefully those fish you have in that 80g are heading to the new tank right?

vipers

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2008
^^^ correct... they need more room to gallop....

thanks guys for the input.. im gonna go find those skimmers you guys recommended to me... thanks

oh, i also have a 20g refugium built for the 150g....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
on a 150g or 240g with that bioload I would seriously consider using the 80g as the sump.......then again I am more for overkill....more water better volume more stability or and more expense I know....