Protein Skimmer/Sump/How?

75SW

New Fish
Feb 5, 2005
I am in the process of upgrading to a new 75 gallon tank. I have had a 55 gallon set up for many years, but my technology is very old. I would like to eliminate all the external equipment and hide everything I can in in the stand. My question is , what do I use for a sump where I can but in my protein skimmer(yet to be bought) along with my heaters?

Right now I have a 304 Fluval for filtration, but I also plan to put in 45 lbs of live rock to help cycle. I have crushed coral as a substrate. I will eventually transfer my other fish & Inverts from the 55 to the 75 once the tank is cycled

Any advice would be helpful. I need a plan. Presently, I'm makinging this up as a go along! *twirlysmi I'm dizzy from reading all the forums trying to find "my" answer.!

Thanks!

Tim

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
i would probably not run the canister owing to the need to keep your nitrates at a manageable level.......i would probably get as much LR as possible and use that as the basis of your filtration.

i would cycle your tank for a very long time either with the live rock or a cocktail shrimp and just use powerheads or some type of pump for movement.

if you want to run a sump to hide your heaters and skimmer by all means go for it, but i would avoid using "bio-balls" if i were you.

if you are NOT dead set on running a sump you could simply use a good HOB skimmer like a CPR back-pack or an aqua-c remora.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
sump really is the only way to keep equipment out of the tank...as far as what to use, there are a lot of different options: the best is probably an acrylic box with partitions, you can also use a glass or acrylic aquarium, or (like me the cheapo) a large rubbermaid tub.

in terms of skimmers, there are a lot of different options and it kind of depends on whether you want the skimmer to sit inside the sump or outside the sump...and how you want it to function. same with the return pump. if you use a couple SCWDs you won't need any powerheads in the tank, only the outlets from your return pumps

75SW

New Fish
Feb 5, 2005
Thanks for the feed back. I spent the day visiting a cople of area saltwater stores annoying the help with questions. I have a much better understanding of what I want to do. Power-heads and undergravel filters got me this far, no sense driving through my headlamps now!
I think for economics and practicality for me , I will put in the live rock and go with a HOB skimmer.

Thanks again. Am sure I will have more questions later. Nice to know help is available.