Pseudotropheus saulosi

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I have a fully cycled 29 gallon set up with rocks and play sand. I have hard water, but have not tested the Kh or Gh, I believe the Gh is around 15-18 (I had my tap water tested about a year ago). I have two hang on back filters, an aqua-tech 30-60 and an aqua-tech 20-40.

I have 6 P. saulosis scheduled to arrive in the mail tomorrow (Wednesday 10/6).

I've been cycling the tank with pure ammonia (diluted to 10%). My tank will process 2tsp (about 4-6ppm) of ammonia in 12-24 hours. I had not done water changes during 4 weeks while I was cycling the tank and checked the nitrate levels last night. They were over 100ppm. I did a 95%+ water change. I retested the water and nitrates were still close to 100ppm. I did another 95%+ water change this morning and nitrates are around 12.5ppm. I plan on doing a 50% water change again this evening to be sure to bring nitrates under 10ppm. I should have been keeping up with water changes during the cycling process, but I didn't expect them to get so high. It seems the tank will be ready by wednesday for the new arrivals.

I have not added any ammonia today or yesterday.

During the water changes I had the filter pads floating in a bowl of old tank water. The filter sponges are in a spare filter on my 18gallon until the fish arrive.

I have a couple questions:

A) I have a 295gph (Maxijet 1200?) pump. Should I use it in this tank? I've read P. saulosi like strong current, but is this too much current?

2) My wife will be home when the fish arrive tomorrow. They were shipped out monday. Should I just have her acclimate them to the tank right away or will it be ok if she just opens the bag they come in, add an aerator (bubbler) and a drop of prime to neutralize any ammonia that may be present.? I'll be home appx 6 hours after they are delivered and could acclimate them to the new tank then.

d) Would a small hob protein skimmer do any good on a freshwater tank or just a waste of money? sometimes I see a slight film of floaties in my tanks, but haven't really had any problems.

Feb 27, 2009
2) My wife will be home when the fish arrive tomorrow. They were shipped out monday. Should I just have her acclimate them to the tank right away or will it be ok if she just opens the bag they come in, add an aerator (bubbler) and a drop of prime to neutralize any ammonia that may be present.? I'll be home appx 6 hours after they are delivered and could acclimate them to the new tank then.
If the fish are shipped in breather bags, I'd leave them as is, kept dark to reduce stress, untill you can deal with them. I've had fish shipped and 'got lost' in the mail and were in transit 8 days do just fine. A few more hours is not going to hurt them.

If the are shipped in plain plastic bags with water AND air in the bag, what you suggest may work out well.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
just emailed the seller. Does not use breather bags. Sounds like each fish will be arriving in its own bag. I hope they are all alive. Shipped out at 3:00 pm MT and will arrive around 11am ET. Anywhere from 41-45 hours of transit. Not bad coming from Utah, I suppose.

Feb 27, 2009
I got fish from the west coast in February with no issues (I'm near Chicago). Except for some otos, I've always had them shipped in breather bags (otos gulp air so need the air pocket).

Good luck!

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
If it was me, id start acclimating the fish right away. They've been in the bag for a long time and are gonna be stressed and probably cold. When ive had fish delivered to me, they are usually quite stressed out and i like to get them into the tank fairly quickly.

About the pump, not sure but probably not neccesary. I used to have a group of 8 saulosi and there was no strong current and they didnt seem to mind. But I didnt know they liked strong currents?

HOB skimmer - pretty sure that would be a waste of money

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Thanks, I just remember reading somewhere that the Taiwan reef where they were discovered in Lake Malawi has a strong current that the saulosi swim against. I think with 2 filters there is good water movement. Since they won't be in breather bags I will get them acclimated right away.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
My fish arrived at noon today. There were 8 (I ordered 6) and all arrived alive and healthy. I "drip" acclimated them for an hour; I could only slow the drips down to 3-4 drops per second using vice grips and binder clips as I traded away an air control valve thinking I wouldn't need it.

Anyway, all 8 fish are active and seem happy. 4 are definitely males and 2 of them have egg spots. 3 look to be most likely females, and 1 could end up being either one.

Ultimately, I plan on keeping the best looking/most dominant male and all the females, hopefully trading my extra males to my LFS for a couple more females. I would like 1 male and 5 or 6 females.

I'm feeding them New Life Spectrum cichlid formula (1mm sinking pellets) and a 1x1 square of marine algae salad.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Is this normal behavior?

All the fish look healthy. No signs of parasites at all. Breathing is normal, color is looking better than yesterday, activity looks normal.

However, the fish appear to be flashing occasionally. Mostly they will rub their heads into the sand 2 or 3 times and then swim off. They don't appear to be flashing against the rocks. Like I said, no signs of ich or velvet or anything unhealthy. Are these movements normal for the Pseudotropheus genera?