puffer, long spine urchin, and live rock?

Jul 22, 2004
northern illinois
Visit site
well, i ordered my uncured tonga branch rock (72 lbs @ $4.50/lb not to bad i guess) and i wanna know if (1.) should I leave my puffer and urchin and long legged spider lookin thing (sorry to sound stupid on this one,, but was given to me by a friend who knocked her tank down and gave this to me) in or should i find them new homes and (2.) how should i add all this uncured rock i jumped into buying without thinking (duh on me). i have my totes filled and ready for the rock (delivered tomorrow by the way) but how long should i let it sit?.. i have the salinity at .027/.028. should i increase the salt or just let it sit in the water for now?,, oh i also have it circulating,, so it wont be stagnant. I also found out my protien skimmer for that tank will probably not be here til monday :(

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Long legged spider thing could be an Arrow crab.
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

Will take a good few weeks to fully cure LR (Live Rock). Be sure not to cure it in the same aquarium that your 3 inhabitants are in. I believe they are all compatible with each other

Sounds like your measuring your salt levels in Spec Gravity, not Salinity and it sounds like it is high. You wanna find levels of 1.023 - 1.024.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Leave it in there till ammonia goes to zero. Be prepared to do some large water changes on the stuff, the cleaner the water, more stuff survives. When you get it, pull it all out and eyeball each piece for anytihng like sponges that's obviously dying, and use a scrubbing brush to get it off. You might want to wear rubber gloves for this as 1. it is filthy, 2. you will likely get stuck by a needle from something on the rock.
Do not keep the stuff in dirty water to make sure 'you don't stop the cycle'. Don't worry about that - this is not freshwater land, and we are not so anal about cycling. The bacteria will have plenty to feed on anyway.

Arrow crab, puffer - depends what you want to keep doesn't it. Know that if you like shrimps, crabs, starfish, small fish sometime Mr Puffer will have to go. I quite like urchins and would keep it as they are awesome algae machines, but you have to stick the LR together proberly sa they are aawful strong and you don't want a rockfall