Puffers???

Hi my name is Adam,  I'm not a begginer at having fish i've had them since i was 5 and now i'm 13 years old!  I saw these cute little fish called puffers in Petco, but i don't know if i should get 1 or 2 of them!  Right now i don't have my tnak fully set up(29 gallon), and i'm also thinking of putting one of my special CT male bettas in the big tank also with my two beautiful HM females.  Will this little aggresive fish kill my beautiful bettas in my tank or would they get along?

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
what kind of puffer? theyll prefer brackish if they are any puffer other then a dwarf and they are all fin nippers i tried putting a mono sebae in with my green puffer he wasnt in there 5 minutes before the puffer bit off his forehead and tail and fins and killed him

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
puffers can be fin nippers...i wouldnt put one with a betta

heres a site that has alot of great info on puffers including potential tank mates

http://chunkypuff.net/projectpuffer/

good luck *thumbsupsmiley*

--liz :)

riddlephil

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i just got a fahaka puffer yesterday to put in my ten gallon.  Hes only a baby right now but he still goes after my guppys and even my pleco.  They say that he will reach up to 16 inches in size.  If u do get a puffer, u cant put it in with anything with long fins like bettas or angels.  And be prepared to get lots of snails. they need snails to keep their teeth down.

Oct 22, 2002
Just from our experience, do not get puffers for anything other than species only tanks. They will eat the fins off of anything that cannot outrun them. When we had them, they decimated the entire population of the tank until we caught them and got rid of them. For the sake of you and your fishies, do not get them as tankmates for anything, other than snails, as previously mentioned.

Aug 8, 2005
I had a betta that held his own against 4 puffers. but only because he had a place only he could go and they couldnt. He would come out long enough to peck one than run back to his hidding spot. After a few hours i realized it was not gonna happen.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
Abercrombie6202 said:
Hi my name is Adam,  I'm not a begginer at having fish i've had them since i was 5 and now i'm 13 years old!  I saw these cute little fish called puffers in Petco, but i don't know if i should get 1 or 2 of them!  Right now i don't have my tnak fully set up(29 gallon), and i'm also thinking of putting one of my special CT male bettas in the big tank also with my two beautiful HM females.  Will this little aggresive fish kill my beautiful bettas in my tank or would they get along?
I know this is off topic.. but whats with the...   ... ???? :confused:

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
I agree with Troy-N-Eli. I wouldn't recommend putting puffers in with ANY kind of fish. Some can get so mean that they use their beaks to rip holes in the sides of other fish. You can't really determine the personality of the puffer before you get it, so I'd say puffer with other fish- especially a betta- is a bad choice.