Pumping Xenia

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
What would you like to know. I have it in both my tanks. It can be invasive once it gets established it spreads like crazy. It can be controlled though by removing it and is easily fragged into other colonies by placing a rock next to it and having it spread onto the rock beside it. I have it growing up the side of my 29g and it moves around to where it wants to be which isn't always what you would want. It is interesting, I love to watch it as it moves a lot and is constantly pulsing each polyp on it's own schedule not all at once, so it appears to be moving.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if u do decide to add it to your tank just becarful since it can take over lots of prime realestate very fast!! ive got it growing on the back/overflows of my tank and personally thats the only way i want it in my tank since it cant really spread anywhere besides the back ;) another thing if u put it on your rock work keep it towards the top since thats the way it usually likes to spread...generally xenia is something experianced reefers usually try to stay away from and iin my reef club theres always someone trying to give the stuff away for free