Pumps and Powerheads as Returns

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
I have a problem here. I need a new pump for the return chamber of my sump/fuge.

I turned an Ecosystem 40 filter with the Miracle Mud into a fuge with a deep sand bed. The pump that came with this filter is a Rio 600 which is rated for 200 gph.

Im trying not to break the bank on this new pump and I was wondering if it was possible to use say, a MaxiJet 900/1200 as a return pump instead. I'm also a bit unclear as to what differientates a water pump from a powerhead. They both accomplish the same task of pulling water in and directing the flow to a certain destination, correct?

The return nozzle I have will not fit a Maxijet powerhead but I imagine the return nozzle will have two 90 degree bends in it, which would amount to 2 feet of head aka 100 gallons of flow lost, is that correct? I can buy a new nozzle and account for the amount of head, therefore purchasing a Maxijet 1200 might be ideal for this?

Please help! Any input would be appreciated.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Google, I kid you not, you just need to key in the right search terms, I think I used maxijet head graph. Anyway, pactice and you will find.
I think returns are worth spending money - failures are at best annoying, worst calamitous.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
thanks thefool, you're a doll.

I also think that returns are something that I should invest in...but this new tank is not just mine, the boyfriend owns half lol. He's not too keen on spending another 100 bucks on the return pump but I'm hoping to pick one up for about 50-60. I know the MJ will only run me 30 bucks so cheap, somewhat good option.

Anyhoo, I do have pics of the new 33 gallon, we just can't find either of our USB cords to get the pics onto the computer!! I will show off the goods when I find one of the cords.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
eva said:
Also, the wattage of pumps...the higher it is, the more heat it will produce? Is that why CoolWaters said no to 70 watts?

commonly theres also noise...and yes there will be lot of heat but the mag drive can be used in-line but it will over heat over time.

(i shouldnt have the digi-therm. next to the powerhead....)

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
dattack, what did you use as the return nozzle? I'm assuming your sump is located underneath your tank isn't it? I need to find a return nozzle that will fit snugly and securely on to the MJ1200

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
dattack said:
I used a maxijet 1200 for my return from the sump. The flow through the sump doesn't need to be that much.
how far did it pump?? i need mine to pump about 3-4 feet so would i lose a lot of flow???

btw i found my dad's pool pump XD i think its 3000 gph but not like im going to use it for a 10g tank...;)

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
At 70 watts I'd say no as 1. heat, 2. I pay the electric bill here. But reliability is a big deal for me here - ever had to unglue all your plumbing?