Purigen/Phosban

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Has anyone used either of these products in a phosphate reactor? just curious as to which is better or both?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
The reactor is useless if you can fit in your filter..it only allows a slow flow in the media.
They're not the same, so better ..i dunno.
When i use Phosban/Rowaphos ( same thing ), all the little algaes on glass and rocks simply disappear for a month. When i use Purigen, some residues from the food ( like high protein cyclop eeze ) creating a floating oil-like substance at the waterline disappear for more than a month.
But...with one bio-marine filter pad all this can be removed...but it doesn't last that long...like 2 weeks.
Anyways now i don't use any of those tnx to chaeto.
The + with Purigen = cant be renewed with bleach ( then dechlored ) and it's good as new.
BTW...you can use stockings to put those media in...i find it better than the 6$ bag you have to buy.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I just bought a reactor as everwhere I read said to use that. I don't have a filter and I tried putting it in the return from my skimmer and the bag just gets grungy and I can't be sure that the water is flowing through it......but more over it......so I don't believe it was working as well as it should.

Oh well I will give it a try

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I've not used purigen but have used PhosBan I think, if it's the Al based phosphate remover. Sadly it had one of it's not common, but not rare side effects of killing a bunch of softies (in my case star polyps, and sinularia) so I think it's better to use an iron based P remover like Rowaphos or similar. These are also a ton more effective. I don't fluidise, I mix it in with my carbon - I guess it's not super effective but it's ok for me