Putting objects in my tank

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
I have a 15 gallon tank i just started and have been thinking about getting fancy and putting some non-fish tank objects in the tank.

One idea i had was a empty Budweiser bottle. I think if i either glued or cemented the cap back on after i emptied it would be fine, but what should i coat it with to make it stay the same looking?

As for other stuff has anyone put cool objects in their tank?

-Corey

Jun 21, 2008
It's true Kissy, I did do that. And I think you're the only one that's figured out that I'm a girl. Haha. Yeah, I have a bunch of bottles in my tank. The problem with just emptying it and then putting the cap back on is that 1. it will float and 2. you lose the volume of the bottle as swimming space. What I did is rather more complicated than that. Here's a pic of my tank. I'll also attach one in case it doesn't load.

What I ended up doing (after a lot of trial and error):
1. Pick which bottles you want in the tank. Ones with the labels printed on the actual bottle (like Corona) are easier than ones with paper labels glued on. I have some of both.
2. At first I had some of the bottles in the tank with just the tops open, figuring that either the fish wouldn't swim into them with such a small hole open, or that they'd be figure out how to get back out if they did. Both of these assumptions were wrong. After having to literally pour my platies out of wine bottles a couple times I decided to try a different approach. So, I decided to cut the top and/or bottom off of every bottle, so that there's plenty of room. This also allows the bottles to double as caves and hiding spaces. Again, after trial and error, here's how I did it. First, prep something like a small trash can by filling it with ice cold water, it can even have some actual ice floating in it. Hold the bottle flat on a table and prop a glass cutter on something like a pile of books so that it hits at the right height. Coat the glass cutter with vegetable oil and score the bottle all the way around. Then, fairly quickly so the cut doesn't have time to heal, take a length of 100% cotton cord and soak it in kerosene. That's right, kerosene. Wrap the cord around the bottle at the same place as the cut. Then, holding the bottle at the end away from the cut, preferably wearing gloves, light the string on fire. As the string burns, it will stress the glass at the place you've scored it and you will actually hear it crack. Once the string has stopped burning, plunge that end of the bottle into the bucket of ice water, this should finish the fracturing process. If it doesn't completely come off, you can gently tap it either against the edge of the trash can or with the other end of the glass cutter.
3. Once you cut all the bottles the way you want (use some for practice, it takes a few to get the hang of it), coat the jagged edges with silicone. You can also coat the labels with silicon, although it's nearly impossible to get it completely coated to the point where it won't eventually form air bubbles. I have some with bubbles in my tanks and they seem to be ok, but I wish they weren't like that. I also have a couple where I took the label off, laminated it and then attached it back to the bottle.
4. When the silicone dries you can rinse the bottles in really hot water and then you're ready to decorate.
Sorry this was a really long answer. Let me know if you have any other questions. I've also thought about putting some glass gels from theatre strip lights in there, but I'm not positive if they're colored with lead, so I've held off on that. Anyone know how prevalent coloring glass with lead, etc. is? Or should they be safe? They look something like this:

but I have access to red, blue, green and amber. I think it would be a cool addition to the tank, maybe suspended from the canopy and floating to give the tank some decoration up higher.

Attachments

Last edited:

s_anthony

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Or you could do it the really easy way and go to your local craft store and buy a 10.00 bottle cutter :)

There's many other ways to do it if you feel adventurous as well... like using electricity to cut bottles, etc..

Bottle Cutting

Lots of people do them for crafts so a quick google should return a few results if the words kerosene and fire scares you :p

Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, I didn't try an actual bottle cutter, but everything I read about them seemed really complicated, and like you had to have a way to also tap it from the inside. The method I used was surprisingly quick and easy, (and fun) once we got the hang of it, which really only took 1 or 2 bottles. I'm also not sure if bottle cutters of good quality are widely available, but it might be worth checking out.

Jun 21, 2008
I will second that about the terra cotta. Also, I found somewhere online DIY instructions for cutting holes out of the sides in case you want to put them in upside down and provide a fishy entrance instead of just putting them in on their side. I don't know if that makes sense, but hopefully it does.

Jun 21, 2008
Hey ccondardo. I'm not sure if you're talking about cutting the bottles or the terracotta pots, so I'll include links for both. Ok, the first one I just found while I was searching for stuff online, and it was what inspired me to figure out how to do it in the first place.
Fish Breeding Caves
I hadn't found this one before, but it looks interesting and talks about the terra cotta.
TheFishCave.com: DIY Fish Caves
Just found this one, it seems to talk mostly about drilling holes.
Drilling holes in glass bottles - DIY - do it yourself - tribe.net
This is the page that I mostly used when I started to actually do it. I think he talks about the string and fire method, but from what I vaguely remember (it was this summer) I ended up sort of combining a couple of his methods. Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions. I'm excited to finally have an area that I can talk about and sort of know what I'm doing.
Bottle Cutting

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Thanks! I can never decide between a natural theme or an etherial/mystical theme for my tank, so I kind of go back and forth. I need the room (and money) to have more tanks, lol, a common problem to the fishy people of this site I am sure. I was going to just put the terra cotta pots on their sides to make little cory caves (or whoever [whomever?] ) wants to use them. It's good to know though that I can alter things if I decide to do so. I'd love to hear what else people have put in their tanks and hope no one minds if I copy if I like the idea!