Puzzling betta deaths

Silver1

Small Fish
Apr 1, 2006
I know it has to be something obvious, but I've tried everything to stop these deaths and I'm at a total loss now as to what to do.

My bettas have all been dieing, one by one, of the same disease. The only bettas that have survived are ones kept in tanks that have carbon filters. Most of my bettas are kept in 1-2.5 gallon tanks. They are not kept together, never share the same tanks, and are dieing even if fed different foods from each other. Nothing is shared between the tanks. All the fish are bribed with food to swim into their own personal cups for tank cleaning, so no shared nets either.

They all get aged tap water, conditioned with a basic water conditioner, and their tanks are cleaned out once a day, to once every other day. They are slowly adjusted to the tank water, and the water is kept at normal betta temperatures. There is nothing odd about the water tests, and test them I have.

The fish all have the same thing happen. It starts with paralysis on one side, which goes away. Then the fish abruptly loses all of its fins. Then it looks like they're attacked by some sort of flesh eating disease, followed by pine-coning (Dropsy) and death. They are happy, eating, and even blowing bubble nests up to an hour before they die, even if their fins are missing.

The PH is normal. (7.0) no ammonia, no nothing. I even went out and bought a new test kit because I thought my current one wasn't working. They do not respond to anti-bacterial medication, anti-fungal, anti-parasite, anti-anything.

I'm thinking it must be something in the water itself, and when I switched to buying them water from the store, it actually reversed the progress of the disease in one of my fish, but what the heck would cause that? My conditioner is supposed to get rid of heavy metals and chlorine, and I've tried different conditioners just in case.

My mother thinks the water is radio-active from some melt down that happened the next city over, but I'm not sure what's going on.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would call the water company and ask if they have changed their water treatment methods. It's possible the company switched to chloramines, and that is what's causing the problems. Chloramines can't be removed by aging water, but there are certain water conditioners that will neutralize the chloramine, and also neutralize the ammonia formed when the chloramine is neutralized.

You could also ask the water company if there are any known changes in the makeup of your water. Some areas have the water quality reports online.

I've also heard that Sears will do a full water test for you (because they want to sell you water treatment equipment), so that might be worth a try if you don't get any info from the water company.

Silver1

Small Fish
Apr 1, 2006
According to the label on my water conditioner it removes Chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, detoxifies nitrie and nitrate, and provides a slime coat.

The other one I use in combination with it is supposed to protect against heavy metals.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Have you tested your tapwater after the declorinator is added? (i.e. before you add it to the tank).

If that doesn't offer any answers, I guess it's time to call the water company.

If nothing is shared among the bettas, then I guess the only conclusion is the water.

Hopfully no one in your household is spraying anything near the tanks or using anything that could get into the water.

Silver1

Small Fish
Apr 1, 2006
My apologies, its usually about once a week for the healthy bettas. The changing every day was an experiment to see if it would stop the flood of deaths. At this point if you told me standing on my head and gargling peanut butter would stop it, I'd ask you which brand was most effective! :eek:

I called up the water company as suggested, and I have to say I was very impressed with the company. Someone promised to call back, and just as I was about to call to see why no one had, someone showed up in person. They took water to test, found the chlorine etc. was normal, and had a fish expert with them to look at my fish. :eek:

The guy thinks it might be some chemical in the water, and is going to have the chemist call me tomorrow with what to condition the water with to stop the problem. Thank you Lotus for suggesting that!

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
wow that is amazing. I stillthing that changing the water everyday was the culprit. There are water aditives that you can add to take the chlorine and whatever may be in the water.

But if they feel they need to send some one else out to test it again let them.

Sep 2, 2006
ND
Silver1 said:
The guy thinks it might be some chemical in the water, and is going to have the chemist call me tomorrow with what to condition the water with to stop the problem. Thank you Lotus for suggesting that!
Hey Silver! Any update on the water? How are your fish doing?

Silver1

Small Fish
Apr 1, 2006
Yep! The fish are dieing from (drum roll please) the metals in the water. My water conditioner didn't work to get rid of them. I was recommended a different one, and now there are happy, healthy fishies swimming around!