Pygmy Angel

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I got my dwarf angel finally. Went with the pygmy (cherub) angel over the flame... it was considerably cheaper, a little less common, and will give more color variety to the tank (would be lots of orange with a flame once I get a clownfish).

She's really little (about an inch long), but nice and active. The LFS said they had her for about 4 weeks, and she eats great. Her tail is a little torn up, there was a mean tomato clown about 3 times her size in the tank with her, picking on her. LFS guy even moved the clown to an empty tank so it wouldn't pick on the remaining fish in there anymore.

My royal gramma was chasing her around a bit at first, but I threatened the gramma with a net for a while, and it's been ignoring the angel now. Or else the fire goby is protecting the angel, they're already buddies :). I thought you were supposed to add an angel near last, apparently that's not the case with shy angels that are the smallest fish in the tank.

I've read a couple places that angels need lots of algae and greens in their diet. I've got those dried algae leaves, and spirulina flakes. How big a piece of algae should I rip off, and how long would I leave it in there?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
It reccomends a peice thats 2 inches by 2 inches, and remove any uneaten food within 24 hours. I feed mine to just inverts and they devour it, so your angel will love it, and also maybe some of your inverts, although I keep mine on the very bottom because I dont have any fish to eat it so maybe yours will be placed higher. Congratulations on the new fish, sounds like your tank is really comming along nicely.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yup, just a percula/occilarus clown and maybe try a neon goby again, and it'll be stocked for fish. Maybe a few more bumblebee snails... they're really cute too.

I'll try a 2x2 piece tomorrow, might use less the next time if most of it doesn't get eaten. Will the snails go over to find it too, or just the angel and hermits?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I had another thought... do bristle worms eat algae leaves?

The angel apparently doesn't like mysis shrimp, it was eating flake at the store (which I've also got). So, I gave her a little piece of algae, maybe 1"x2". She's been picking at the live rock, too.