q of freshwater to salties

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
Hi guys!
after seeing all your pics i am drooling for marine tank. I have 2 concerns though:
1. it looks like it costs lots of money (well, i can overcome it)
2. when i' going on vacation i always can get someone to come to my house at least once in 1-2 days and feed my cat and 3 freshwater tanks. I have instructions written on my wall how to feed whom. An most of the time it ends up OK. Unfortunately even with this rarefied feeding schedule, people tend to overfeed my fish despite strict instructions and usually i have to do series of WCs aftrerwards because some especially delicate fish (as severum) are getting fin rot.
I heard that you cannot skip om coral feeding ever. Well, now when you live whom you trust to feed your wonder worlds? It's very important to know b/c otherwise i do not have a chance to be a salty :D

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
1) yes it does
2) most corals will do fine for weeks without food so if I am going to be gone a week or less I don't have anyone do any feeding, all I have them do is add FW for top offs. If it is going to be more than a week I usually have someone feed every 3rd or 4th day...I haven't had it cause a problem

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
1 It does, big upfront cost, after that no worse than fresh.
2.There are a few dodgy corals, but generally I'm happier to leave my salt tank for a weeks travelling than I ever was discus or tropheus