QT Question

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm getting ready to QT some fish in my 10g tank. The tank is completely cycled and everything, but I do not run a filter on it. I just have 1 power head. Do you think this will be a problem when I QT fish? I completely forgot about a sponge... I do have an air driven sponge I could put it, but I don't know how long it will take to mature.

Oh, the water I put in my 10g is the water I change out of my main tank.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
hmmm well at this point I guess your only option is to frequently do water changes while the fish are in the QT tank? I mean otherwise there is no filtration and it will take a few weeks for your new filter to cycle (causing amonia/nitrite spikes??).

How often are you removing/changing water from your main tank?

Jun 29, 2008
PA
but most of the filtration will come from your bi-weekly water changes?

foolish question. what happens if you put a filter in there now? will it cause spikes even though the water/live rock are cycled?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you have live rock in there, you should be fine. I have LR in the tank I use for QT. Should I have to medicate, or if the fish get sick in there, I'd throw out (or cook) the LR.

No matter how well cycled your QT is, it's always a good idea to monitor ammonia. I've used the Seachem alert badge as an indicator (but I still check with a test kit). The alert badge just means I don't have to test daily or twice daily if there is an ammonia spike, I just know if a water change is needed.