Quarantine Tank

Mikro

New Fish
Mar 23, 2005
This is my first attempt at a quarantine tank.
I guess I may have to use it as a hospital tank too if the need arises...

10 gal. glass aquarium
Marineland Biowheel 100 Power Filter
2" cc (from my 75 gal display tank)
2 25 watt incandescent bulbs
1 100 watt heater

Is this the right idea? Is 10gal. too small?

I have a small Percula Clown in there now..

TIA

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
should be just fine. i would reccomend adding some plastic plants and some PVC pipe just to create a safe feeling for your perc until he moves out. what I do is keep a filter pad just floating in my sump of my display so that when i need to set up the QT it is colonized with some bacterias.

Mikro

New Fish
Mar 23, 2005
1979camaro said:
should be just fine. i would reccomend adding some plastic plants and some PVC pipe just to create a safe feeling for your perc until he moves out. what I do is keep a filter pad just floating in my sump of my display so that when i need to set up the QT it is colonized with some bacterias.
That is something I was wondering about. So you break down the tank while its not needed then set it up again if you get a fish? And you use the filter pad for the bacteria? I have crushed coral in there now (I switched out the cc in my 75 gal for sand recently so I had some left over) for the bacteria.

Thanks for the relpy...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Question: when you set up a quarantine tank and use water from your regular tank is the water not already cycled and contains the bacteria needed or could you move a small piece of live rock along with the water it is in??? My plan was to set up a small tank in another room to use as a quarantine such as a 12 g nano cube with fish only...??? would this work?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
The tank water will have bacteria in it. You can also hop live rock from that tank to the qt. Remove the live rock if you do medicate the tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
No I wasn't intending to keep any fish in there except new ones prior to introducing them to the main tank, or sick ones that need medication. I know not to medicate with live rock in the tank. thanks for the input, as always it is a great help. Now if I can just grow some cash to get this whole shebang on the go.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well I thought I might like something that is asthetically pleasing to look at for the 4-6 week quarantine period. For those of you who break down your QT between need, how do you get it up and running quickly if needed? just put water from the main tank in along with something that has a bacteria load such as a sponge from the filter or something? I imagine if you keep nothing but a couple pieces of pvc and a few plastic plants or something it wouldn't take long to get it going?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
for quick startup, i just take a piece of LR from my main tank and add it to the QT....when the fish goes into the main tank after a successful quarantine, i change all the water and allow the LR to sit in the QT to get rid of any potential problems (if there's not a host, bacteria/parasites will most likely die)

the main point is having a quarantine tank is essential and easy to set up

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
got it. Though one small wee question. If you use a piece of lr from the main tank in the quarantine tank can you re-introduce it to the main after using any kind of medication such as copper, I thought some meds were not tolerated by the lr and inverts????? I think the lr would be okay for quarantining new purchases but not in a "hospital" tank?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
the LR could not be placed back in the tank after using any medications, what most people do is they remove the LR before they add medication, then after quarantine they break down the tank and scrub and clean to remove any traces of the medication