Quarantine Tank

Jul 18, 2007
Hey,

I am planning on getting some BR's soon. My question is setting up a quarantine tank. I have room below my main tank for about 10-12 gallon tank. I could fit a 15 in there but it would be a tight squeeze. So here is my main question, I would have to setup and cycle this quarantine tank and then add 6 Bolivians rams to them for about two weeks. I know that 6 fish of that size in that small of a tank would be semi stressful but I only plan on keeping the strongest pair. With 6 of those guys, I am hoping to get one mating pair. Let's say after the two weeks, everything is fine and dandy, how would you maintain that tank? Cause in theory you wouldn't keep any fish in it if it is a quarantine/hospital tank. But would it be ok to keep and Oto or 3 in there? Just to keep some fish poop in there. What do you guys/ladies think?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
How big is your main tank?

If it's large enough just set up a sponge filter in a hidden corner of it and then when you need to use the QT move it there and voila, almost instant cycle. That way you can keep it dry when you're not using it.

I'm not sure you would want to keep 6 rams in there for 2 weeks though. I'd worry about infighting. It is possible to get them in pairs (mind you that creates territory problems when they're in the main tank).

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
i actually set up my quarantine tank and then added gravel, i used decor and filter meda from a setup tank, but now i have fish in there full time. they are not very expensive fish and i basically consider them expendable but i have not lost one yet.

Jul 18, 2007
My main tank is a 30g. I know that the Rams will get territorial but I would like to get a good breeding pair out of them. Once I get a single pair, I will go trade the rest of them into my LFS. The guy I am getting them from doesn't think he can get them in pairs. He gets them from a wholesaler in Hayward. He does sound like he knows his fish. Maybe I can ask him to pick up 4 and keep them in his tanks to see if they will pair up. I would keep a single fish in the quarantine tank. Thanks for the help.