Quarentine question

Oct 18, 2007
Hello friends :) First i want to say i always appreciate all of your help. I absolutely love this website and everyone here.

Now Another question of course :p

I am a semi-novice i guess you could say when it comes to fish.
I've Had a 5 gallon i got started with when i was brand new with the hobby Raised a few Platys and a Betta in it.

I've Had my problems like anyone jumping in to fishkeeping would have, but i believe i know the basics now.

a couple months ago i upgraded to a 24 gallon aquapod system. I Did a fishless cycle. Got everything right where i wanted it, and basically switched my 5 gallon over to the 24 gallon. I moved 2 Platys, a Female betta, the dragon decoration (algae and all) 2 live plants and a little snail that just showed up one day. *twirlysmi

Ive Checked the water and consulted with an owner of a small fish store in the town i live in.(This owner of the store is around 50 and believes in doing things the old fashioned way, Cycling with fish, old equipment and so on so i dont trust him completely Even though he is very knowledgable and is a great guy) Everything is great very very very very little (pracitcally no ammonia) 0 Nitrites and little nitrates.

Everyones happy :)

Now The question! I have Wanted Guppies for quite some time now. Ive done research that says (correct me if im wrong) That Platys and Guppies get along quite well in most cases.

I have the empty 5 gallon that still has most of the Gravel and the same water from a month ago. I have been running the filter And i have a betta living quite hapily in it :p
I am going to pick up my new companions tomorrow and i was wondering... Should i put them in the 5 gallon (without the betta of course) for a few days before i put them in my main tank? Or should i go ahead and put them in the new tank?

The 5 gallon water looks good still everything looks great in both tanks as far as water levels are concerned.

here are some facts in case anyone is wondering.

-Both tanks have a little aquarium salt.
-Both have heaters around 75 degrees
-Both have good water levels i checked tonight
-the 5 Gallon only has water and gravel
-The 24 gallon has Gravel, A dragon decoration, a few live plants and lights.
-I am willing to move any bettas that will be a problem. The female betta i have seems really passive She has never messed with any fish that i have seen and i watch my tanks a lot. I am aware however that Betta's are possessive and new comers might not be welcome in her eyes. (she was put in after the platys)

Thats all i can think of that you guys would possibly need to know. Thanks in advance :)

-Steve

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The general reason to quarantine new fish is to not introduce any bugs or disease into your established fish tank. So it comes down to whether you trust the store you're buying from, if you want to take that risk, etc. If you have a cycled tank you can keep them in for a few weeks to make sure they're healthy, you could just move the betta to the main tank during that time, then move it back when you're done. However, keep in mine how stressful this can be on the betta. Another option is to keep a sponge filter always in one of your tanks or tank filter box to keep it cycled, then filling up an extra tank for quarantine when you need it.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I used to quarantine until I start using the LFS I do now, religiously. I have never (until now, apparently) had any problems with them. They take fantastic care of their fish. I've put fish after fish after fish straight into my main tanks, never even a hint of sickness. However, this really isn't the smartest approach. Having a small quarantine tank handy is always best. The only tank I have available is my 5. Which wont house my entire 29g tank. So, I'm at a loss right now.

So, I suggest the quar. steve.

-Jay

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you do quarantine, keep them in there for at least two weeks. It not only gives you the opportunity to treat them if there's a problem, but also gives you a better chance to observe them and make sure they're eating OK. For wild-caught fish, I usually quarantine at least six weeks.

There's nothing worse than having to treat all your fish or having a mystery disease that wipes out the whole tank. I've only been sorry when I didn't quarantine.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I agree 100% with Lotus, I've never found a fish that I put in quarentine to have any sickness, or eating problems. However, What has happend is not putting a fish in quarantine and now my 29G is over run with ICK! I'm treating it now...and hopefully I can take care of it...but had I put the 2 little algae eaters in quar. the fish I already had in there would be just fine!

-Jay

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
You can't go wrong with a QT. I bought a black angelfish several weeks ago that came down with fin rot a few days after bringing him home. I was able to medicate in the QT and now the fish is making a nice recovery.

Other than being an isolation tank it would be easier for you to medicate in the 5g rather than the 24g.