question about a new tank

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
We've had a small filter of our uncycled 6 gallon tank on our cycled 16 gallon tank since Jan. 15. We are hoping to be able to move the filter back to our 6 gallon and add some fish right away, thus avoiding a cycling process. Could anyone tell me how long it would be recommended to keep the filter on the larger cycled tank before returning it to its own and adding fish safely?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Usually a month is sufficient to culture a decent bacterial load. Stock lightly when you do the switch and keep an eye on water parameters for the next couple of weeks to make sure the tank stabilises.

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks for that. Now how about our 48 gallon tank? We've got 5 lampeyes and 2 small platties and a lot of plants. We had another big male platy but we had to transfer him to our 16 gallon because he was bullying the other pair of smaller platties. We would like to add fish (from our other tank and / or new fish). We have had fish in the 48 gallon since Jan. 12 when the lampeyes went in. Then about 2 days later we added the platties. When can we add some corys and or a pleco and other fish?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I would test the water and add as it stabilises from each addition. Most of the fish you currently have are relatively small so if the water is testing ok, you could probably pop one school in and see how each addition goes for at least a week or two. Are the smaller platies male or female? You may want to get more girls to spread out the big guy's attention.

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
We have 1 small female platy and 1 small male platy. Like I said, we had to move the big male into our other tank because he was really bullying the little ones. We're still contemplating how to organize the fish we have and what new kinds to add... I love those beautiful guppies. Could I house a couple in my 6 gallon? Maybe 2 girls and a boy?