question about adding new fish

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
How long should I wait from the time I put one new fish in the tank to the time I can buy another fish? Assuming nitrogen cycle has been completed and everything else is fine.

Just want to know an average timeframe for when the water has adjusted to the new fish and can take in a new one.

Tank size = 80 gallons

Current fish = Yellow tang, 1 damsel

I had 3 damsels but managed to catch 2 of them and return to LFS. The last damsel I cant catch for the life of me unless I remove all the rocks. Is one damsel a serious problem still?

Thanks.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well it won't be as big a problem as the yellow tang will. The yellow tang may very well not appreciate any new additions as they can be territorial and are recommended as one of the last fish to add. What are your stocking plans? As long as the ammonia and nitrites are zero you can add another fish. It is just that adding a few will sometimes create a mini cycle.....in which case you will want to do a water change and let the beneficial bacteria increase to accomodate the added bio load.

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Don’t know yet which fish to get. I was going to ask you guys for suggestions.

What do you recommend I should get – something that is easy to keep (hardy) and no more than $40 in price. I was thinking of getting clown fish since they are so adorable but any other suggestions would be great. I also want to have an eel. Any eels out there that fall in the hardy & under $40 category? one that is ok for an 80 gallon.

Thanks.

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Yea that tang will be an issue, you'll either have to change up the rock work to create new territory or you'll have to QT the tang while the new fish gets adjusted. Then you'll only have to deal with your damsel. Hahaha. Your're in between a rock and a hard place on that one.

Just get a fish bigger than the damsel and QT the tang. That'd be my suggestion. But it sucks since you limit yourself in the size and type of fish. Or try and get the damsel out move the rock work in the process, add a new fish and then your tang shouldnt be a huge issue. I hope.

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Damn the LFS guy for telling me damsels are great to start. I even asked him if they will be a problem in the future and he said no. my mistake for not asking around more…guess I will learn this lesson the hard way because I cant catch either two fish (tang & damsel) and I am going to have to remove the rocks. Damn it!

What about clown fish? If I get two clown fish, will they be harassed by the damsel?

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Well from what people have been telling me here is that they are very territorial & aggressive. I figured since they are so small, they wouldn’t mess with bigger fish but I guess they do. I want to buy two clowns but it seems that the damsel is a threat to them as well. So I will do my best to catch it without removing all the rocks but I have tried many times and failed…they do look nice though

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Damsels are sold to people as " Beginner" fish to jump start their nitrogen cycle as they are very hardy. The problem begins when after about 6 weeks of being the only fish in the tank and being able to develope territory etc you try to add another fish to the mix. The damsels will then gang up and attack any new additions as they see them as a threat. The only way damsels should ever be added is as a last fish, that way the other fish have already established their own areas, even then you may have trouble. Stocking your aquarium should be planned out carefully to ensure that the fish you add will get along, have similar needs as far as environment etc. are appropriate for your tank size both now and in the future. Clownfish are good community fish even though they belong to the damsel family. They too can be territorial and are often added early rather than later. I am not sure about eels but I believe snowflakes are hardy and suitable for an 80g tank. You will want to make sure that you have your tank totally secure as eels are notorious escape artisits. I have a couple of fish in my 75 that won't allow any newcomers....the yellow tang who still harrasses the foxface after a year together and a nasty 6 line wrasse that will harrass anyone his size constantly putting the chromis on the run. You need to decide on what your goal is then work towards it. Get rid of the damsel at what ever cost, then hopefully the tang won't be as big of a problem if you add smaller different shaped fish.....good luck

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I used a fish trap to get some chromis out that had become too territorial. I have heard of people actually fishing for them with a small hook and bait......takes deep sea fishing to a whole new level.....get them now before you have to dismantle everything...

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Well im doing it. Its Saturday and I am in the middle of removing all the rocks to catch the tang & damsel.

Since im doing that, should I be doing anything else while im at it. Things that make it easier while all the rocks are out. Such as vacuuming the sand, etc. If anyone has any suggestions for things I could do while im in the middle of removing all the rocks, let me know.

Also, in the process of all this mess, i will dirty & lose a good amount of established water. If i keep at least 50% of the original water, can i add 50% new water? is that ok?

Thanks.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Also, in the process of all this mess, i will dirty & lose a good amount of established water. If i keep at least 50% of the original water, can i add 50% new water? is that ok?

Thanks.
theres no reason to get rid of half your water if this tank is still brand new... even if it gets all cloudy it will settle in a few hours*crazysmil

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Ok so I finally removed the tang & damsel from the main tank and am keeping them in a QT. The damsel I will probably return to LFS.

I’m going to buy a pair of clown fish tomorrow and would like to know how long I should keep the tang in the QT. and also, once I do put the tang back, will he still crate problems when I buy new fish? I don’t know yet what types of fish I want to put in the tank but since I already have the tang and will get two clowns, I want to make sure if I should leave the tang in the QT until I have all my other fish and put him as the last fish (if there even is such a thing as “the last fish”).

I only have a small hang-on power filer connected to my QT so I don’t know how long I can keep the tang in there without any problems occurring with the water parameters.

Thanks.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
it all depends what your stocking plans are... the most aggresive fish always goes last so i guess you have to sit down and plan it all out.... you may have to bring the yellow tang back for now

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
it all depends what your stocking plans are... the most aggresive fish always goes last so i guess you have to sit down and plan it all out.... you may have to bring the yellow tang back for now
The problem is that my tang (specifically) is extremely shy and goes to hide if he even seems me looking at him from far away. He is totally aware of every move i make and if i get too close to the tank, he will hide with all dear life. So if i put him back, i will end up doing the same thing to remove him from the tank which is removing all the rocks. It is just impossible to catch him in the main tank so I wont put him back until im sure its safe to do so.

Can you suggest a list of fish i could consider with my current stock? I really have no idea on what fish i will want in 6 months...From all my reading, i was under the impression that tangs are peaceful and not aggressive, but people here are telling me they are really aggressive so it only leaves me with confusion...Any fish suggestions that will get along with the tang and 2 clowns is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well I think what Tre was saying is to take the tang back to the store for now not put it back into the display. Yellow tangs are common and you will be able to get another later on. You need to decide what fish you like and whether you want a peaceful community tank or an aggresive assortment.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
If you want a nice community type tank look at cardinals,fairy/flasher wrasses, gobies, blennies, chromis, dartfish, and even pygmy angel fish. Not necessarily in that order and not all of those. Though these will all get along together and then add your tang back last of all. Remember that each addition should be quarantined prior to placing in the main display. Research each fish BEFORE buying and placing in your tank. You need to know what their temperment and requirements are prior to buying so that you know you can accomodate them in your system.

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Well I think what Tre was saying is to take the tang back to the store for now not put it back into the display. Yellow tangs are common and you will be able to get another later on. You need to decide what fish you like and whether you want a peaceful community tank or an aggresive assortment.
Thanks for the tip. You’re right, I probably misunderstood Tre.

So returning the tang is the best option I guess. It wouldn’t be practical to keep him in the QT?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you decide to keep him in the QT, you'll have to moniter parameters very carefully, and do water changes as necessary, even if it's daily. Keep a close eye on salinity, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

I agree with Lorna on fish choices for a peaceful tank.