Question About Ammonia

Fishzz

New Fish
Jun 23, 2006
i am doing a fishless cycle for my new tank and today i went to buy clear ammonia from Albertsons and i saw a albertsons branded clear ammonia. i have a question because i am new to fish, does clear ammonia have a strong smell?? on the bottle it say Albertsons Simply Clean Clear Ammonia is this the right one???

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Thats the brand I use, never had a problem. As long as you got the clear kind and not the colored or scented kind.

Hey and welcome to MFT, congrats on deciding to go fishless cycle ;)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
A lot of people have experienced significant increase in time if you start with an overload of ammonia. I would just make sure that its not OVER 8ppm and you're just saying 8ppm because the test kit is the darkest color and only goes up to 8 :) Thats why I choose a lower level...say around 6 or so...so you have something to compare it to and you know its not over 8 or too close to 0 etc. If its not over 8ppm and you want to use that...cool. I would suggest using a lower amount than you put in initially once it starts going down and you start adding ammonia every day.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Do a water change to dilute the ammonia in the tank. Test it again, and it should be somewhere between 5ppm and 8ppm. If not, do another water change until it tests at that level. No need to start over :)

I overdosed the first time I did a fishless cycle, too.