Question about coral

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a 30 gallon saltwater tank and I was wondering if I put any coral in this tank and what kinds. What would the requirements for setup to be prior to adding corals to the tank? Thanks.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
In order to keep corals we need to know what kind of lighting you have on the tank or plan on getting. It is also helpful to know what fish, crabs or other inverts you have in the tank.

Some, like mushroom corals, are very easy and don't require the high light levels like SPS corals do (small polyped stoney).
Then there are some corals that require little lighting but must be fed heavily like tubestrea (sp?).

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Well I have a 20w bulb right now, 3 scarlet hermit crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 3 damsels and a bicolor blenny. What wattage bulb should I get? Also I currently have only 2 1/2 pound of live rock, I'm gradually adding more.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Your fish and inverts won't bother corals so that's good. The bad part is that the lighting you currently have won't be sufficent for any kind of photosynthizing coral, not even mushrooms.
The kind of lighting you need depends on what you want to keep. Example: if the only kind of coral you will EVER be interested in are regular mushroom corals like the pacific frilly, ricordia, hairy, metallic, et......then I could say to you, get one 55watt PC unit (power compact), get more LR and stack those shrooms on top of the rockwork and everything will be peachy.
The problem is that usually, everyone starts out with shrooms, then decides that hey, they really want bubble coral, frogspawn or perhaps some button polyps. Now you have to upgrade your lighting just a bit. Maybe add a regular strip light to the PC, or perhaps instead of a single 55watt, get a single 96 watt PC....see what I mean? And it gets even worse if you want any kind of SPS coral or even clams! Then along comes the subject of money. These lights don't come cheap, but without them, you won't be able to keep any corals alive......
So either you decide on what particular coral you want, or how much money you have to spend on lighting.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
You can get a 55w PC from www.DrsFosterSmith.com for $83.99 and shipping is $10 (I have their catalog in front of me right now;) it's the All-Glass Compact lights) so you would only save 6 bucks.....but you might find it cheaper at HelloLights....check around for the best deal.....BUT....for just a bit more you can get a 110watt for $125.99 and shipping would be $10.99...this would give you more leeway with regards to corals......