Question About Cycling

Striker2807

Medium Fish
May 8, 2006
Tennessee
Ok as some of you know my mom and I just set up a 45 gallon tank around the second week in March. We let the filter and everything run for about 2 or 3 weeks, but we never cycled it. There are fish in there now and they seem to be fine so should I be worried that we didn't cycle it before we put fish in it? We have only had about 5 deaths, with 4 of them being because of the filter. So should I be worried?

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
I seen another post wiith your fish and this is what I have to say:

Zebra Danio- good for cycling, very hardy
L/F Zebra Danio- good for cycling, very hardy

Now those I think would be the only good fish for your tank, I would be worried since you have agressive fish and if your water (pH, ammonia and what not) is off then you might be bullies.

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I would take a sample of your water to a fish store and have them test it, and while you're there, pick up a testing kit so you can test on your own at home.

Others can ring in with recommendations...

By now, though, I suspect your tank has become cycled - a water test confirming 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and some small level of Nitrates will confirm that.

Last edited:
Im not sure, if the tank was left running with no inhabitants, then why the the nitrifying bacteria want to grow? How long were your fish in there> it takes about 2-3 weeks to cycle, with only 5 fish in there, i dont think your tank is barely cycled, if you want, you could do a fishless cycle but putting a hefty pinch of food in there every other day and those will convert to ammonia, thus starting the cycling process. So basically, if you add 10 fish every week then you should eventually build up the bacteria, for fully stocking, no way.

davidmold

Small Fish
Apr 12, 2006
www.lanticmedia.com
You need to get a water test master kit and start testing the water. If the parameters look like they're getting out of line you will have to do water changes. As long as you keep up with this, the fish will be fine. I have a web page at

http://www.lanticmedia.com/aquariums

which shows you what the parameters should be and will tell you when you need to change the water.

Don't add any more fish now until the tank has finished cycling, that is, until your nitrite and ammonia readings are at zero again and your nitrate starts to lift above zero.

As it must have had fish in over a month now, it may be nearly there, but probably you have high nitrites and they are very dangerous for your fish.