Question about filter

Feb 27, 2009
Do a water change on the tank and swish the filter media in the used water and put the filter media back in the filter. Don't replace it, just rinse it off a bit. DON'T use straight tap water or it will destroy your good bacteria.

Unless its falling apart, there is no need to 'change' the filter media. When you do need to change it, put a 2nd (new) one in the filter with the old media and run the filter with both for a few weeks before tossing the old one.

Oct 24, 2009
College Station, Texas
Ok thats why I asked didnt want to get it wrong. Question as to why manufacturers say to change it every few weeks as instead of what you say, which I am sure is the correct way of doing it. Also just an fyi my filter is from tetra for the whisper ex45. Thank you very much for your time OrangeCones.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Question as to why manufacturers say to change it every few weeks as instead of what you say, which I am sure is the correct way of doing it.
They want you to keep buying media from them is my guess. I don't use that type of filter anymore since my focus is on planted fish tanks, but you can use the same filter pad for years. I did, with no die-offs, for many years, in both fresh and saltwater tanks.

Look around at other posts about how to clean or change filter media. Lots of 'experts' will advise you the same. Nothing causes fish tank problems more than changing the media as 'recommended' by the manufacturer since it usually will put the tank back into a mini-cycle with the spiking ammonia and nitrite stressing/killing fish.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
....Question as to why manufacturers say to change it every few weeks as instead of what you say, which I am sure is the correct way of doing it...
Manufacturers are in it to make money, just look at how many different types of chemicals you can buy at the lfs to fix this or help that ect, yet most experts suggest 90% of the time to use nothing more than dechlor...
But if you do follow the manufacturers directions on changing media, I bet they'll have a bunch of chemicals you can BUY to help with your dying fish... See how it works ;)

Plus as OrangeCones said, you'll keep buying media.

Last edited: