Question about hermits

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I just picked up a couple of fairly larger hermit crabs, one is red and I believe it is a dardanus megistos, but the other one that I purchased is sort of greyish, but he has bright blue joints on his legs. Keep in mind that these aren't little like the dwarfs, they are fairly large. Anyone know what kind these are? Thanks.

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Yes, I know that, I don't have a reef, they are pretty cool crabs though. The one is black with little white dots, and blue joints, I fed them both a salad shrimp the other day that was about the size of a quarter, they clamped onto it and went their seperate ways with them. They are good at cleaning the crushed coral too, they pick it up in there mouth and spin the coral, then drop it.

im_netta

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2005
I have a large hermit crab about the size of a little league baseball.(thats including its shell) It's all reddish-orange with little black and white polka dots. I have a crushed shell bottom and he also cleans the shell pieces like NTidd says; by holding the piece to its mouth and spinning it like he's polishing each little piece. I have named him CANNIBAL because he has hunted down each of my three small hermit crabs and dug them out of their shells. He also caught one of my cone-shaped snails slippin' one night and got him too! I believe he ate my little green flower anemone that was a little smaller than a quarter because it suddenly disappeared when I woke up one morning. Do they eat those? He chips my rocks all up with his shell and claws, he moves large rocks and causes small avalanches, he's a terror!! I want to get rid of him so bad, but none of our LFS will take him and now iv'e found out that there's something living in the shell with the crab. It is about 1/4 inch long, no visible legs, 2 antenas on its head. It's basically a little red line with antenas. It never leaves the shell. Anyone know what this is?

Last edited: