Question about Lighting

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
would this light be better for the LR instead of the regular lid that comes with the tank if i use different bulbs?

because i have a few of these im not using in my basement and if they are better for the rock then i will just use these with different bulbs.. any input would be great! also i seen this stuff on some ebay store its called "Purple" its supposed to help purple corline grow on your rocks faster. has anyone used anything like this to enhance the growth? if so how did it work and/or would you put this stuff in your tank? how long does it take for good algie to grow on the rocks? any info would be great thanks again in advance!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well as far as I can tell it just looks like normal fluorescents to me, so I would say just get as many over the top as you can. Mix in 10K, 12K lightbulbs with actinics in a mix of maybe 3:1 as actinics look pretty but aren't really that bright, and age quickly.

I have seen but not used purple up. I grow coralline very fast though by keeping my Calcium levels high - for many tanks just doing water changes will be enough. The fluorescent lighting will work quite well for this too. Good coralline requires decent water, high Ca and reasonably blue lighting that isn't too intense. That's about it i.m.o.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
That picture is a picture of my setup and yes, it's only a regular flourescent that was purchased at home depot. There are 2 bulbs in it. I'm thinking about getting one more light like that so I can have 4 total.

Also, what do I have to do to test for calcium? What do I add?

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I just finished off a bottle of PurpleUp and will not be using it again. It makes a huge mess, and its benefits aren't as much as I'd like to pay for. It DOES work if you want to use it though.