Question about "Luner Lighting" and eels? + new tank pics

cgbender

Small Fish
Jan 24, 2008
Ok so I have a tank with live plants, sand, drift wood, legos, and fun little tank decor. I figured that it was time to relive my child hood and do what I had always wanted to do. The tank is in its fifthe week and its time to add the inhabatants. And while in dallas on buisness I went to a large fishstore well more of an aquarium demo "This all could be yours for the low low price of..." kinda places where i spotted a couple tanks that had "luner lighting" i.e. blue low watt led spots. I talked with one of the people there about the lights and thought that it would be cool to find some that i could add under my light bar that way i could with the use of timers have 8 hours of light, 3 hours of "luner light" then several hours of night time room lighting..... before the cycle starts again. My question is how would the fish and plants react to this. Has anyone already done this and has pictures or the location and or info for the lights. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
Sweet!! I love the plane. Everyone has a sunken ship. Almost makes me want to build a model plane and create a wreck *laughingc

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Fish are OK with lunar lights. It doesn't seem to bother them.

By the way, some of the plants you have are nonaquatic. The three in front of the plane, and the two in front of the driftwood aren't true aquatic plants (as well as the grassy one behind the plane and the striped one behind the wood). Unfortunately, a lot of stores sell these. You'd be better off planting them in soil and using them as houseplants as they'll die sooner or later in your tank.

cgbender

Small Fish
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks for the comments and the info about the plants ... as for the plants i got all the plants in the tank for $7 total ... and have as yet found a good place to get good water plants. As of now the plants are place holders till i get something better .... comments, suggestions, and websites are always welcome ... (good prices on plants) and any comments on where to get the luner lights at desent prices .... thanks again for the replies

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I really like the setup! I found a way around having to re live your child hood. I NEVER LEFT MINE!!! LOL!!

Those legos give me an idea. Get 2 midevil lego sets, castle, troops, everything, set each up on one side of the tank...I'd say 55g or above. Make sure they are different colors. Then get a oscar or something equally agressive. One to match the color of your castle sets. Just make sure the 2 fish are going to get along, of course. SO!! Then you can have your war going on on the bottom, and your secret weapons lurking around the top. Dont stand and fallen troops back up, see which side wins!

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I have blue lunar lights.. I love em. I just put in a new blue background and it makes the lunar light look even better. I have the lunar light come on just before the regular light goes off and vice versa.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Those legos give me an idea. Get 2 midevil lego sets, castle, troops, everything, set each up on one side of the tank...I'd say 55g or above. Make sure they are different colors. Then get a oscar or something equally agressive. One to match the color of your castle sets. Just make sure the 2 fish are going to get along, of course. SO!! Then you can have your war going on on the bottom, and your secret weapons lurking around the top. Dont stand and fallen troops back up, see which side wins!
I don't suggest this at all... a big fish like an Oscar very well might try to eat the lego men and then you've quite the issue on your hands. Sweet idea though, but minus the small parts. I'd try this with angel fish or something... something smaller that won't eat the lego pieces.

cgbender

Small Fish
Jan 24, 2008
LOL That is a great idea might have to use the duplo or playmoble figures or maybe even the fisherprice. I got three ranbows and three giant danios today its funny they cant figure out who they want to school with yet. For the first 2 hours they zipped from one side to the other by them selfs to get to one of two groups that had formed.

daraberry

Small Fish
Jan 30, 2008
this just gave me an idea
anyone here watch lost
go get a model 747 paint it up like an oceanic plane break it in half and put it in two tanks at different parts of the house

be awhile before i can do that in my current living situations