Question about new Damsel (i just got into the hobby)

Dec 27, 2007
Today I got three small Damsels for my 55 gallon tank.(store quarantined them for me)
I put them in the tank today. The one black fish does nothing but stay in the top corner by the filter. Does this indicate any thing wrong with the aquarium or is it just the liking of the fish?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
sorry but I agree with Tre. Although hardy, they are mean little beggars and will need to be removed if adding any other fish. If you want to keep them you will need to remove them add the other fish and then add these back to the tank last. I hope your tank was fully cycled before you added the fish as some lfs will sell you damsels to cycle your tank which is both cruel and not recommended. Please read the stickies at the top and again...... welcome!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Welcome!

It is most likely only scared and feels safe up in that spot. This is normal with many fish when first introduced into a new environment. (It's like the fight or flight theory and this one chose "flight") It should slowly start to feel more comfortable and start exploring the tank in a few days... just keep a close eye on it for any signs of illness over the next few weeks.

As well someone asked above about your tank specs... this will help us better answer questions for you in the future if you can provide the information.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
how old is the tank?? btw damsels are a poor choice of fish since the get big and ugly and become very territorial
I respectfully disagree with TRe as I don't think damsel are ugly, I do think it's wrong to use them to cycle. I have 4 damsels in my 30g reef, and made a mistake putting them in. There's no way to cath them now. I would never do it again. Together with the damsels I have a manderin and 2 fire shrimp, living in perfect harmony. The blue-ish damsels give some colour, and the domino and stripey black/white damsels are kinda cure giving some life to the reef.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well ive had a damsel that changed color with age and actually turn all black... and everything may be "in perfect harmony" now but what happens when u add something new?? you spend hundreds even thousands on your tank but then go with a $4 damsel?? dont make sense to me ... but maybe thats just me

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
Some damsel species are pretty colorful when juveniles but become drab as adults. But there are species which don't undergo color transformation or get large.

Established damsels are likely to be aggressive toward subsequent fish added to tank. Probably best to add them last (if at all); they can be awfully difficult to extract from the tank.

I personally have no problems with the pair of azure damsels I have in my reef tank and the non-damsels in with them (and don't plan to add any more fish), but have had 'trouble' with other damsel species.