question about snails and shrimp

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
forgive me if this has been asked before but i was wondering if you can have snails and shrimp in the same tank. if so what kind? i will research them before i buy of course but i need to know if and what kind.
thanks!

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Just a thought while looking at your stocking, if that's all you have in your 55 gallon, the serpae, head and tail lights, harlquins and glowlights need to be in shoals. They won't be as happy with only two of each. Opinion differs on the number, but maybe add a couple more of each at least?
As for the shrimp and snails, I have had apple snails and ghost shrimp with no problem, unless the shrimp is aggressive (are any shrimp aggressive????) then I don't think you would have a problem with any snail/shrimp combination.

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
thanks! i am going to get some more of each and perhaps another group of some kind of tetra. they all hang and swim together now except for the serapes. my tank is still a work in progress fish and decoration wise. i want to be very careful what i put in there.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
Shrimp can sometimes be aggressive towards eachother. Usually it's the bigger ones that bully the smaller ones. I love freshwater shrimp, though. They're a cute/great/handy addition to fishtanks.