Question on Cycling Tank

Apr 2, 2005
Hi, I just got a new 38 Gal. Tank from my dad's friend, and it has been cycling since Last Thursday. I've been Testing the Water almost everyday, and i've noticed, that the Nitrates, which when cycling are usually at 20-40 are, currently at zero, and so is my Nitrites. I'am not sure why this is.

Also, I was wondering, when i was like 5 years old, my dad had a Saltwater reef tank with Crushed Coral Rocks in it, like big rocks, not Gravel. And i was wondering if i could use this in my 38 gal Freshwater tank?

By the Way here are the current water level's of the tank.

Ph-8.0 which is normal because thats how it's always been, even in my other tank.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

Thanks for all the reply's everyone! :)

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
looks like it to me ur cycling is over...but that was quick(since thurs)...u cant use the rocks from saltwater for freshwater...unless they make something that totally cleans the salt out....

Apr 2, 2005
Im not really sure what you mean by ammonia source, and if i'am correct on what you mean by substrate, which is gravel right? i got two 25 pound bags of it at Pet supplies plus.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
by ammonia source he means: either you have added fish to this tank, you are adding some form of liquid ammonia or solid product that decomposes into ammonia, or you have "seeded" the tank with gravel or filter media from another tank

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
your levels are more than likely at zero because the cycle hasn't even started yet. There isn't any ammonia in the tank in order to feed the good bacteria you want to multiply. You should read an article of cycling.

You don't want to use any calcium based rocks in the freshwater tank as a general rule although some exceptions apply. The rocks for saltwater tanks are calcium based and will rasie the carbonate hardness of the water and in turn the pH to higher levels than you typically want in a fw tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree with discus. if the tank has only been set up for a week...then the cycle probably hasn't started yet. The alternative would be if when you got the tank it had been set up and you used all of the same things from whoever you got it from (including the filter, and the filter didn't get dried out). If the tank is cycled but no fish in the tank...or hasn't even started...then your readings would be 0-0-0.

Have you read the cycling stickies at the top of the beginner forum? Iggy's cycle recipe is good.

Apr 2, 2005
Ok By ammonia source, I do have a Penquin 300 from a different tank in there but that is about it, i am looking for like iggy's cycle sticky, i'am looking for household cleaners containg ammonia and water, but i can't find any, could someone help me with this?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
you would just want to add pure ammonia, nothing else. You can find it in the cleaning section of most stores. It should be clear with nothing else except water like you said. Your filter will not contain ammonia. You can also cycle with fish if you want.