question on frozen baby brine shrimp

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
I recently bought some frozen baby brine shrimp for my fish. As you that have used them know, they are small frozen squares. I had feed them as is but recently read that you should thaw first so they won't freeze the fishes intestines.......anyone else know?
thanks...

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
they aren't for any fry......but I think I will start thawing them......once after feeding them to the fish I did notice the fish were not as active, but then they did okay but no since in adding stress if I don't have to. Thanks

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
I generally put the frozen cube in a small microwavable cup and add enough water to cover the cube. I then swirl the cup around until it's completely thawed. I nuke it for 10 seconds. After this, it shouldn't be too warm and should be ready to use. I've used this method with no ill effects.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I hold a cube in my fingers and wiggle it around until enough has come off. Then I refreeze the rest... I've never noticed ill effects on my fish from this. The water is pretty warm, and the food is pretty small, so it's a good temperature by the time they actually eat it. In fact, I have one angelfish that will eat directly off the flat pack when I stick that in there, she doesn't seem to mind that it's cold.

I tried the cup method once, and I refroze the leftovers (my fish don't need a whole cube), but I think I defeated the purpose afterwards. I broke the frozen puck and held a piece of the food-ice in the water until it melted. I think it's easiest to just wiggle around the frozen cube/frozen flat pack.