question on guppies

kagal

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
SW PA
heyas all,
need to hit the vast knowledge of everyone again. I have been asvised to buy a breeding trap for my guppies that are preganant....(or wife fed them marbles) ::) . any preference on what trap i should get?
   I have heard of nets or hard traps...i have no idea this is new territory for me........

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ok, I was wondering if you got an extra 5 or 10 gallons for these baby guppies.  I have only 2 female guppies in my 20 gallon and they manage to produce an extra 20 more guppies swimming around.  They have gotten much bigger now.  I did buy a guppy breeding trap but got sick of them because the guppies were always pregnant and the trap look ugly.  I don't have a trap anymore because I have tons of floating plants where the little fishies hide now and usually the are not eaten at all.  Too many to count.  

Conclusion:  Get lots of floating plants, less maintenance.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes I agree with dattack. Don't buy a trap. Just use floating plants and lots of them that way the babies have a place to hide from the canabal mom. (;D) Also they have things called "baby hideouts" it's like a little fake plant that the babies can hide in. You could get some of those too. ;D

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
YAh, those are good. ;D But, if your tank is very heavily planted and it only has a few fish it would  be easier if you just left them in there unless you want all of the fry :-/ :D

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I is more trouble to catch the female, put her in the trap, and keep her there till she has them.

Baby hideout work great. Some java moss and rocks will give the preg female a place to "drop" the fry.

Mine always stay near cover to have them. I have a cheesey plastic make your own rocks and caves in my Q-tank, but it is great for the preg guppys to hide and give birth, and for the babys to hide at.

Traps are nice if you selective breeding, to see which fry came from who, but it kinda stinks to catch her, and a week later she still hasn't had her fry yet.

kagal

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
SW PA
i have been told also that if u go through that trouble u might also shock them enough to stop the pregnancy. so i decided to just let them pop on their own i just have taken the males out so as not to spook them more. just letting the now 3 females drop in peice in the tank by them selves

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Kagal do you have another tank big enough for the fem ??? IF you do you can instead just take the canniball mothers out and leave the fry by themselves :) Just a thought 8)