Question on LV

Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
There is someone that is selling some Figian Live Rock in my area, for relatively cheap, and 7lbs of tonga as well. I have a 55g tank that I am looking to make into a SW tank, I am wondering if I can start off with thsi amount, as in if I go and purchase my powerheads, can I start off with this amount of LV, and then add more when I can get some. MY LFS doesn't have any LV in right now, but I'd like to purchase some from an actual person as well because its cheaper.

Thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You could start off with a small amount, but you wouldn't be able to add new live rock to it straight from the store once you have livestock in there. New rock would have to be cured outside the tank or it can cause deadly ammonia/nitrite spikes.

We did a deal with our LFS for a box of live rock, so we got it cheaper than buying it by the pound at the store. We had to clean it and rinse and cure it ourselves, but that was fine with us.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Maybe this will help out a little bit....

Oceanpro Aquatics - Online Store: Fiji Premium Live Rock - Pre-Cured - By The Pound

I just ordered 30 lbs but I also have a side tank to "recure" it even though it is already cured. Like Lotus said, I don't want to add this to my main tank until I know it is safe so I don't kill off my livestock.
Living in MN live rock (LR) gets pretty spendy... about $8 a lb for most.

Have you kept an eye on craigslist?

If you are possibly interested in making your own live rock, you can check out this site....

Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation Home Page

Check out the section- "Making sand molded AragocreteTM live rocks" under the aragocrete section.

I have seen displays with some of it and you can't even tell the difference between the real and manmade rock, AND you can make custom shaped pieces to your liking.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
There is someone that is selling some Figian Live Rock in my area, for relatively cheap
how cheap ??
Dadstank said:
Maybe this will help out a little bit....
have you ever ordered from here???? it looks like one hell of a deal *thumbsup2 how much do they charge for shipping?

Last edited:

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
I'll be posting pictures of LR when it gets here, when it's curing, and when it's done. They have different shipping methods...overnight, 2day, and 4day. I had them hold off on shipping so I can get it next tuesday. Works better with my busy schedule :)