Question on new tank

Jul 4, 2005
I have set up my 30 gallon tank and has been operational for three days now. On the second day I added a few fish, two red tail sharks and one bala shark that is a little over 3.5 inches long. A little bigger then wanted to start out with but mother bought them and said "give me that one" lol. Well I have dechlorinated when I established and added 3 teaspoons of stress zyme the past two days as instructed by the LPS. No concerns as of yet, my main question was will the stress zyme hurt the fish adding it every day for a week?

Thanks in advance

Bill

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
The Stress Zyme will certainly not harm your fish. Stress Zyme is a type of cycle-helper, and while I'm not sure that it will do anything to actually help, it won't harm anything.

This board has some excellent resources on the cycling process. Check out the stickies in this forum for some good advice on how to cycle successfully.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to MFT. :)

There's a great article on cycling here: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=14 you should read it to ensure that your tank goes through its "new tank syndrome" sucessfully, and that your fish live.

Your bala shark will unfortunately get too big for your tank, and red tailed sharks don't get on with their own kind. If possible, see if you can take them back to the store and exchange them for something else. :)

Jul 4, 2005
Thanks for the input everyone, and keep it coming. The red tails are not too agressive right now, they just chase eachother around and like hiding. The Bala like I said above is the biggest one they had at the LPS, they had smaller ones that I would have liked to have and watch them grow, but I am happy with this one. I was always under the impression that fish would only grow to the size of the tank? Is that true.

Last edited:

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
30gallonman said:
I was always under the impression that fish would only grow to the size of the tank? Is that true.

Your quote made me remember that when I was just a "fry" in this hobby, that myth moved me into larger tanks. It has hung around for quite a few years. It may have been promoted by tank manufacturers ....LOL.