Question on PH

Apr 3, 2007
Knoxville Area
So we're all allowed to have those "DUH!" moments right? I've been testing my water for PH using the regular PH test that came with me kit. It always read at about 7.6 which is close enough to where I want it, that I didn't even think about changing it. 7.6 being the top range of that test.

Today, by accident, I picked up the high range PH test bottle. The test read 8.0... DUH!

I'd really like my PH to be a bit closer to 7.0-7.5 which is recommended for fish types I plan on keeping.

My question is: Is this really that big of a difference? The fish seem to be doing fine, but they've only been in there about a week.

Can I lower the PH? Or should I leave it be?

If I lower the PH, what is the best product/method to do so?

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
There will be other much more experienced than I that will reply, but I can tell you some things that I've learned from this site.

1. Most fish will adapt to your pH. When adding new fish, it's important to test the pH they've been in (ie the fish store tank water) and if it's way off from where you're going to put them, do a slow acclimation process so the fish can adjust. My pH hangs out at 7.9, and my fish are doing just fine :)

2. The products out there to adjust pH will not keep your tank water at a constant pH and the fluctuations in the pH will stress the fish out too much which could lead to their death.

3. Adding driftwood can lower your pH a tad due to the tannic acid that slowly leaches from the wood.

There is much more to know about this subject, but this is some info till someone else posts.

Good luck!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Sounds good, Laura.

The only other thing I'll add to this is from my own experience with one of my tanks. My tapwater comes out at 7.2 pH. Having added a crapload of Malaysian driftwood to my 55 gal. tank, my pH only dropped to maybe 7.0 pH, if that. I attribute this to the fact that I must have relatively hard (well-buffered) water...never did actually test the hardness though.

You might find the same thing happens in your case.
Just be aware that you could have water that is on the softer side, in which case your pH would drop a lot more significantly from the addition of driftwood, so keep that in mind.

Only thing I would ever do to alter pH would be through the addition of driftwood (to lower pH) or certain types of rocks (to raise pH)---both of which are stable, long-term additions to the tank and will not lead to fluctuations as would chemicals.

Anyway, I'll quit rambling on...just wanted to share these thoughts out loud, lol. Bottom line is that, IMO, you should never add chemicals for pH adjustment purposes.

BV

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Lowering it by adding something to the tank such as driftwood or peat moss would be your safest bet. Otherwise i wouldn't mess with it to much. I'm not a fan of pH, however while they can live fine at different pHs, some fish (cichlids at least) won't show certain behaviors or breeding habits in water with the "wrong" pH.

What is your LFS water like? They might possible use water very close to yours, ask them what they keep their tnaks at and how they lower it (if they do).