Question on sped up cycle?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I'm (kinda) doing a fishless cycle on a 40 gallon tank. I have a cylced 75 gallong tank i took out 10 gallons from the cycled tank and put it in the 40 gallon which has a new HOB filter going. Also i have a powerhead with a foam filter on it running in the cycled tank.

How long should i wait to put the powerhead in the 40 gallon and start stalking the tank?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Swapping water really isn't going to do a whole lot. I'd let that powerhead run for a week or so and put it in the new tank for a few days...then switch it back I guess. Personally I think since you already have a cycled tank, the best thing you can do is take some filter media from the cycled tank and either just put it in the filter of the new tank...or if its a type of filter with a cartridge you can just swish it in the new tank every few days. Whatever you can do to move some of the bacteria from the cycled tank into the tank that needs the bacteria. Doing something every few days really helps the most

I'd start stocking after the tank is cycled...you still use the same process even though you've seeded the tank. When there is no ammonia and no nitrites after they spike...then you should be good to stock immediately.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
The other tank has a canister filter but i will see what i can do, also i plan on having the powerhead permanitly on the new tank once the cycle is done.