Question re stocking a 20gal

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Hi all,

I was a regular on these boards about 5 years ago as I cycled and then maintained a 29gal hex. Everyone here was instrumental in the success I had, so I figured I come back here, now that I'm investigating the hobby again.

I'm considering a 20gal rectangular. I live on the third floor, so I can't really go much larger than that. While I'd love to go bigger for aesthetic and stocking purposes, I really can't -- but I'm confident I can maintain it well, too, despite it's size.

I want to get a sanity check on the stocking here. I'm considering 6 diamond tetras, 6 glowlight tetras, and 2 julii corys, and it moderately planted tank.

Any thoughts?

Thx in advance!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
With a 20g I would only go with one of those schools of tetras, then the corycats, then possibly a centerpiece fish to finish it off. Two schools might be cramped in that size.

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
I think you should get at least 3 cories. 1 big school and a centerpiece fish doesn't sound like a bad idea either but I dont think you would have a problem with the 2 schools if that is what you really want. Do you still have the 29g hex? Cause it looks like that had/has the same fish that you want now. If it is still set up I think you should go for some different fish.

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Good advice. I've owned Bolivian Rams before and loved them. How about this:

2 Bolivian rams, 8 Diamonds, and 3 Juliis. I'm thinking a long 20 gal with a Penguin at one end. The opposite end would be built specifically for the Rams, with more plants, including floating cover, since they prefer those things (and less current).

I've only ever done a fish-in cycle before, with Giant Danios, and may try that again. Then again, I am also reading about the fishless cycle option, too. We'll see.

Thx again!

(Don't have the 29g anymore. That thing was a PITA, especially with respect to lighting.)

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
I kinda like the rams and tetras option. But, maybe a smaller tetra or rasbora would look nice with the rams so that the rams really stand out. I recently helped my boyfriend set up a tank with German Blue Rams, Pristella Tetras, pygmy Cories and Hatchet fish and it is a nice combo.