Question

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
My 2.5 gal tank has a small filter on it and I was wondering if I need to still do a full water change?
i have changed the filter once and need to do it again so should I just go ahead and change the whole thing water clean tank rocks and so on or just leave it alone and change the filter itself?

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
I think that depends on your point of view. Persoanaly on something that small I would only change the water if it looked like it needed it, and would clean the rocks maybe everyother mounth. But thats just me. Some people will clean and change everything once a week.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I don't like the idea of a month's worth of fish poo in the rocks. I made a little 'micro-vac' from tubing and a dowel and I use it on Odie's 2g vase and on the 1.7g hex. I think it keeps the water cleaner, and I bet it smells a heck of a lot better in there for the inhabitants. :p

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
Would a large turkey baster work as a gravel vac for a 1.5gallon?
And to answer you marie, I think it would depend how disturbing it would be while you cleaned it. If your fairly cautious, and don't bumping around, just a smooth motion, I would think it would be alright. I clean my betta bowl's with them inside, I just am careful not to stir them up to much*twirlysmi
If you have a really aggressive betta who goes after the vac though, than I would take him out and place him in a betta cup if you still have that laying around?