Question

May 29, 2006
Sussex, NJ
I just called a pet store and tommorrow i am going to buy a black piranha. My question is i am going to put him in my 37 gallon aquarium until i get the 55 in a month. The guy said its fine as the fish is only 4.5 inches right now and i was also wondering how much does a test kit usually go for? Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. And i know this should be on the predatory fish discussion, but no one hardly goes on there.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The only problem I see with this is all too often life has it's way and the larger tank never comes. Piranha being the social fish they are should not be kept alone and you do not have the tank needed to house 6 or so of them. A 55 is going to be pushing it.

You should hold off on getting the fish and save your $ to put it towards getting the bigger tank first.

May 29, 2006
Sussex, NJ
I have read several sites that say that type of piranha should definately be kept alone. Not saying your wrong, but I have never seen them housed together. If i wanted to house them together I would get redbellies, but i want something unique that none of the people i know have. I definately have 1 55 ready to use at my grandmas, but i was going to by a new one. To get the old 55 all i have to do is fix her 225 gallon and i have everything i need so space is no problem. In like 2 to 3 years though i would like to get a tank that big, but in a few years. Thanks for your input though Pure.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
My apologies, I spoke without looking this one up. I didn't know there was much of a dif in the 2. Learn summin new everyday.

You are correct, They will not tolerate ANY other fish in the tank and a 55 will house the fish for a very long time. They are very slow growers after they reach more than 4 inches, only growing at about 1/2 an inch a yr. However do make plans for much larger housing as this guy can eventually get over 16 inches.

Make sure you have a strong filter with a lot of flow, current seems to be one of the keys to getting this fish to grow. The exertion from the flow somehow makes it grow.

So yes it will be fine as long as you have a bigger tank lined up in the future. Why do you have to wait if it is at your grandmothers house?

May 29, 2006
Sussex, NJ
Because i have to fix her 225 gallon tank. I ment to do it today, but i was busy. I will probably just buy one though as i will pick all the fish for the 225 gallon and the 55 has all fancy goldfish. So i will most likely buy one.