question?

luvfish

New Fish
Feb 9, 2007
have a 10. gal freshwater tank. Completely cycled. ammonia and nitrite levels zero. keep light on during day, off at night. problem: what is causing brown spots on ornaments ( fake plants, treasure chest, etc.) no live plants in tank. I'm new at this, any help greatly appreciated...thanks.....Also, have slight green spots as well

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It's algae. Unless you have the tank right near a window or have a strong light on it, the algae should grow pretty slowly and you can just scrub it off the ornaments every so often (or get an oto catfish or a snail to help eat it).

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
yep, i agree with capslock. If its not near a window or sunlight on the tank, it will be OK. Every tank gets algae, its natural. its just the more annoying types of algae like beard algae, hair and fuzz algae and others that get annoying becuase they grow fast, take over the tank quickly and look unsightly.

Also if you have pics of the algae that could help.

Jan 23, 2007
Michigan
As long as you are not pushing the fishies for space you could try an algae eater to help keep things clean. Just be careful you dont get anything that will grow too large.

Ottos are relatively small or even chinese algae eaters(my favorite) but they do grow larger. I am constantly surprised at how well they do a great job on the plants.

Alternatively just get an algaecide (spelling?) tablet from your LFS and zap it yourself.

:D

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
the brown spots are called diatoms. i had a problem in my 90 gal with it. i got 6 otos and they got rid of it in about a week or so. i cant remember what causes it but i think overfeeding, or having not enough light (wattage wise) does it, but don't quote me on that. but it definitly sounds like you have a diatom problem. i was told that wiping it off just causes it to spread more so don't touch it. just get some of those otos (if you have the room).