question

Jun 24, 2006
hey everyone heres my problem. i have 3 jack dempseys and i want to clena out the whole tank but i dont know where to put them while i clena the whole tank out
i have a a big pot but i dontknow if that will keep them alive. i jujst wnat to kno a sure way to clean my tank out while moving my fish and keeping them alive so i can move the tank into my room

Apr 3, 2007
Knoxville Area
Do you have a large bucket? Or a large Plastic box, like for storage? If so, clean it out really good, fill it with water from your tank and put the fishlets in there. The should be okay while you clean out the tank and move it. Make sure to put something on top of it, in case your fish are jumpers.

It's probably best to do the tank move/reset up all in one day, as the fish won't be to happy in that bucket for to long.

Good luck with your move. Oh and make sure to keep your filter media nice and wet during the move so it doesn't dry out and kill all that helpful bacteria!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Good advice. When moving the tank, do NOT put your filter media in any non-treated water as that will also kill the good bacteria. You want to keep the filter media with your fish in some old tank water.

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
When you say clean out the whole tank... do you mean change water, vacuum gravel, 'remodel' decorations, scrub walls, or completely restart everything?

Because unless you want to restart *everything*, and do a 100-ish % water change, or perhaps put in new gravel, or something huge... I wouldn't move the fish. Most clean-up can be done just fine with the fish in the tank. Placing fish in another container can induce a huge amount of stress on them. It can also be a bit dangerous because ammonia levels in a small container can rise very quickly - especially when scared fish breathe fast - and can harm their gills.

Oct 14, 2006
New Hampshire
I agree with Angel. Even myself, a couple years ago, I was just getting really into fish then, I decided I need to clean the gravel cause I hardly ever did. So I took out EVERYTHING(except the gravel and water lol) and I tryed to do the best I could. But even when I did that I kept all my fish in the tank.

So, all in all, like angel said, unless you're redoing EVERYTHING and like a 100-ish % water change, I wouldn't suggest moving the fish.