Questions about algae and buildup

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
I've heard from several people that plecos make more waste than they're worth, but I thought they were good. Is there any fish that will remove algae from aquarium decorations to any significant degree? I've also been told nothing but negative things about chinese algae eaters in here, so I'm confused.
Also, is there any treatment that will stop the buildup that forms around the top of the tank? It's really unsightly and dificult to remove without dismantling the tank.

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
I find that plecos do a good job of cleaning algae when they are young anyways. I think in theory (I have never had success because they always die on me) otos are suppose to be good cleaners as well. Siamese algae eaters are good because they eat brush algae as well. Cherry shrimp also clean up brush algae. Every tank in my house used to have a pleco in it. But now me and my two brothers lost all our plecos except for my oringal 5 inch pleco in my 29 gallon.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Yes, Chinese algae eaters are a lot of trouble. They stop eating mainly algae once they reach a certain size (which is large for most tanks) and become rather aggressive toward tankmates.

The oto catfish is a good choice for moderate algae control. But they only eat brown and green algae, not hair, brush, dot or blue-green. They're docile and small and most people find them to be very attractive as well. I have four of them between two tanks.

Then there is the proper algae eater, known as a Siamese algae eater or SAE. Rather than being a suckermouth so to speak, this is a cyprinid, akin to barbs. This guy is rather rare and difficult to find in most pet shops. Not to mention that the flying fox, a similar species, is often sold as a SAE. The flying fox will eat algae, but not as much as the SAE. The SAE will consume green, brown, and hair algae generally. If you're lucky enough to find some they will be perhaps the best fauna for algae control in your tank.

There are also algae eating shrimp, such as the Amano shrimp. You'll need a lot of these folks to make a dent in any algae problem you might be having.

Naturally the best way to stave off algae is prevention. Manual removal (cleaning the glass, scrubbing off decorations after removing them) is effective, but will not eliminate the source of the problem. There are many threads that cover this, so I'll leave it to you to search for them. Basically you'd have to reach an understanding of water chemistry and lighting.

Consistent water changes are a good place to start.

Lastly, in regards to the film at the top of the tank, I wouldn't concern myself with it unless it's looking really serious. That being the case, you should seek to find out its cause. It could be that you're using a dechlorinator with aloe vera added to it. Maybe you're overfeeding. Maybe you aren't doing consistent water changes. Maybe you're overstocked.....

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Sounds to me as though the film at the top of the tank is the result of hard water deposits. I had this happen to my old 20 gallon tank when I lived in an agricultural area in Idaho.

In a glass tank, your best bet might be to very carefully use a metal scraper. Don't use this in an acrylic tank.

Big Vine

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
What you could have is a high calcium content in your tap water, have you tested it out of the tap? Calcium can build up and be very crusty and hard to remove is why it makes me think it could be that. Otherwise it sounds like you may be using way too much salt in your tank...which tank are you referring to anyway?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
KyleBradley said:
It's buildup that you have to use a green scrub pad to get off. it's nasty stuff, but my tanks are all fresh water.
KyleBradley,

Check my earlier post (re: using a "scraper") in conjunction with what TLM4x4 just wrote about the calcium deposits. I've had this problem in the past, and scraping it off was the only sure-fire way of getting rid of it.

There's not much else you can do...it is a part of your tap water.

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
KyleBradley said:
Hey Big Vine, what does your crayfish eat? I've got one in my tank that is about 8" long..That's him as my avatar. I don't know what to feed im, but he's not dead yet, so he's eathing something.
Hehe. The mods are probably gonna love it that we're switching gears and talking about crays now. :rolleyes:
Oh well, I don't feel bad 'hijacking it' since it was your thread to begin with! ;)

I feed mine one shrimp pellet a day. He made his first live catch the other day---an ailing cherry barb---and devoured it...leaving me absolutely nothing to clean up after.:) I recently got another cray too...a brown female. I'll post pics soon in the "Other Aquatic Creatures" section of the forum or in the "Rate My Tank (Freshwater)" section.

The cray in your avatar must be the one in your 30 gallon tank, right? I can't comment on your "unidentified fish," but I will say that I'm surprised he hasn't gone after your cories or pleco...or has he snacked on any of them yet?

Do you know for sure if it's a male or a female? What species is it? www.bluecrayfish.com is a great place to find answers to these types of questions...I joined their forum, and it's great...if you're into crays.

I could also help answer some of this stuff for you, if you'd like.

Big Vine