Questions about filter, cleaning, etc.

Finney

Small Fish
Jun 17, 2005
I just got my first aquarium! It’s used but is nice and in good condition. It’s 23 gallons and came with a cabinet, hood and light.

1. The people who had the tank before me, without realizing the harm it would cause, used detergent to clean the tank. Their poor fish died and they never used the tank after that. It has been sitting empty and unused for several years. What should I use to clean/disinfect it to make sure the soap residue is all gone?

2. It came with a Second Nature (may now be Tetra) Whisper Power Filter (not sure of the exact model). I haven’t tried it yet to see if it still works, but I think I’m going to start fresh with a new filter. I would like a power filter that does all 3 types of filtration, is quiet and not too conspicuous (the old one sticks up above the tank a fair bit). Can anyone recommend a good brand or model that would suit a 23 gallon tank?

3. I’m going to get some natural looking aquarium gravel for the tank. Is there a special type of substrate or anything else I’ll need to grow a few live plants?

Thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
1. You can use some white vinegar to get the soap out, and rinse really, really well and allow to dry thouroughly.

2. Everyone has a different opinion, so you'll get lots of opinions on this. I really like the Eheim Liberty HOBs and the Penguin filters (HOB = hang on back = power filter). Both have all three kinds of filtration. The Eheims are the quietest HOBs I've ever used.

3. If you can, get either Eco-Complete or Flourite as your substrate, they are both great for plants. Eco-Complete is a dark grey/black, Flourite is a terra cotta color.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Flourite comes in 2 colors now: the original terra cotta and the Red color.

Be aware that Flourite will create a cloud of "dust" when intially set up. But settles with time..I dont think Eco Complete has this problem..

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
1. I 2nd Lotus' answer

2. HOB filters stick up in the back...I think thats just the nature of the beast. Unless Whisper has completely changed their designs, I dont think you'll find any HOB's that are much less conspicuous. A quieter option, although more expensive would be a canister filter...like a fluval 204 (not sure what size you'd need for your size of tank...) I got my first canister for this 46G tank, its a fluval 304 and its definitely my favorite filter now!

3. Depending on the plants you're going to try, I think plants will probably grow in most any substrate you pick. But I've heard good things about all of the ones that have been suggested!

Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
i use both penguin and their higher-priced version the emperor filters, and i'm partial to emperor filters as far as HOB goes. i think they are worth the extra price over the penguin filters that lotus recommended. very similar design (same company, after all), but i find emperors to be more quieter and more reliable (don't jam up, prime easily after power surges, etc.) plus you can regulate the water flow somewhat. aquaclear are also very good, but they have some problems priming IMO. never used eheim. as froggy says, canisters are GREAT (and for all the reasons she wrote), but they are also more expensive. a good in-between in price and performance that i use on a tank is the marineland H.O.T. magnum 250--and at just over 10g/hr turnover, it's a pretty good size for a 23g tank. it hangs off the tank but doesn't stick up quite as high, and it's pretty quiet provided that your tank water level is near the top as it should be. they run $45 at bigalsonline.com.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Finney said:
Is there a special type of substrate or anything else I’ll need to grow a few live plants?
It probably would save frustration, time and money to begin with one of the substrate's Lotus suggested. Trees take seed between the cracks in a sidewalk, but not the best way to grown a a nice looking tree. So I would disagree that plants will do well in any substrate. You most likely willl start out with a few plants, and then when you see how attractive it makes your tank, and how the fish enjoy real greenery ... you will probably add more and want to try other species. .

Some species will specify "nutrient rich substrate". Heavy root feeders like swords will do particularly well.

If you are looking for "natural looking" gravel, then I suggest either the Flourite or Red fluorite. But I would take a look at the Eco-Complete as well.
I've used both. Any of them can be used in a substrate layer and then a nice gravel on top. Eco-complete can be used straight. I know that some folks use red fluorite straight, but it really needs a top layer to keep down the dust ... no matter how well you rinse it.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Looking back at your original question, I see that you asked about what else you need to grow plants. I don't know what lighting you have, but it's very important to have sufficient lighting, and it will determine what kinds of plants you can grow. Generally, standard lighting will let you grow some easy plants, which I think is the best way to start out with plants. A simple tank with some hardy plants will let you know if you enjoy plants or not.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
yeah revfred...I agree with your advice about Flourite. I put the red one in as my only substrate and everytime I change the water theres a huge cloud of dust that takes hours to settle. Even if I touch one of my plants the dust begins to move..I thought the dust would be gone after the initial setup but its still there :(

I'm thinking about uprooting all my plants and adding a regular layer of gravel on top...since I didnt put any fish in my tank yet.

Last edited: