Questions about moving with fish.

Apr 3, 2007
Knoxville Area
We closed on our house yesterday!!! Whoot for first houseness. So now I'm making my plans for moving the fish and other creatures. Here is my current set up:

29 gallon Planted Community Tank
10 gallon Cray and Platy Tank
5 Gallon Betta Tank

After the move here is what I will have:

55 gallon Planted Community Tank
29 Gallon Cray and Platy Tank
5 Gallon staying the same

So... needless to say I can't just move the tanks and set them back up, as everyone will be moving tanks and whatnot. I've also just found out that we won't be able to set up the 55gallon as our carpet installation has been pushed back until after the first of the year. So here are my kinda basic plans for moving the fish.

I'm going to purchase some of those LARGE plastic totes to transfer the fish into. I'm wondering if I can put a heater into one of those? How long would it be safe to leave the fish in such a tote? I think I can find one that will allow me be put the hang on filter on the side, so I'll be good with filtration and such. I'm just worried about keeping the temp decent as it is winter time here in TN. With our current moving plans, the community tank might end up in the tote for a couple of weeks... Would this be bad? Anyone have any better suggestions?

Last edited:

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
CONGRATS ON THE HOUSE! what is it like? so exciting!!!

i just put my fish in a few buckets for my move since i was only moving 30 minutes away. lol when i moved, i had my fish on the floor in the basement in three QT tanks for 6 months and they were fine ;)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think you will be fine with the totes and heaters as long as the heater does not have contact with the sides of the totes. Depending on what kind of heater you have, you can prop it up in the middle of the tank or somehow so it doesn't have contact with the plastic is probably the best idea. They should be fine with the filtration and heat, toss a few plants and such in there too to keep them feeling safe.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Congrats on your first home!

The totes will be fine as a temporary home, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to move the fish in the totes for the journey to the new house. Water sploshes a lot in a car. It would be better to bag the fish, or use buckets only 1/3 full.

HOB filters usually work fine on the sides of a rubbermaid container. Watch out, though, some of those containers will bow significantly when they're full of water. If you have canister filters, they don't work so well when they're at the same height as the tank. Try to get containers that say they're food-grade plastic.

Apr 3, 2007
Knoxville Area
Thanks Lotus :) I actually have several 5 gallon buckets which I planned on moving the fish in, they have lids so they should be okay for the 10 minute trip down the road. :) I'm so excited!! I'll get to go to Dino's soon to fill out the 55 gallon WHOOT!!!

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
I agree with Lotus, use the buckets to more the fish.
I would use submersable heaters with suction cups in the totoes.
Another option, to keep things safe, would be to place the heaters in a large glass jar, such as a gallon pickel jar, set on its side, so even if the suction cups fail, it would still no come in contact with the plastic.

Looking forward to having you back to the fishhouse.
We have added a lot of cool things since you were last here.