Questions about my skimmer..

djj624

New Fish
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
I have this skimmer http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_va.asp?CartId= At the top there is a little pump in upper right hand corner of the skimmer with an adjustable carb either open or close. I am wondering what this does exactly and also if it should be open or closed.. I have a 55 gallon Tank with 2 clowns, 3 damsels, a fuzzy dwarf, and a foxface.. When i first purchased everything my local fish guy told me to cylce the tank with the carb closed now that it has cycled and there are new fish in it im not sure if it should be closed or set to open.. I cant get a hold of him lately either.. Can anyone help me out here?

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I assume this is the 'variable venturi' - it allows you to alter the amount of air being mixed in.
You have an uncycles 55 with all those fish in - your local fish guy should hang his head in shame! He's ripped you off, and given you a bunch of fish that will likely die.
A skimmers a good tool but can't work miracles - cycling with fish is from the aqautic drk ages.
Do you have any live rock or sand. Do you have any tst kits for ammonia and nitrite, and do you know how to make water for water changes?

djj624

New Fish
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
The Tank is cycled while it was cycling it only had a few damsels in it that lived through the cycling period.. After it was cycledi added the fuzzy dwarf, foxface, and clowns.. I dont have a test kit yet but im getting one and have been bringing my water to checked about evry 2 weeks.. Also to change water i have 2 5 gallon buckets that i fill with water and detoxifier then add salt till salinity is correct the siphen in the tank..