Questions about ro/di units

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
I am about to get started back into the salt water hobby and want to make sure to do it right the first time. I am going to pick up a 55g tank w/ a 20g sump either today or tomorrow and am gonna need water. I am not looking forward to hauling 70ish gallons of water from the store to the house, so I am considering purchasing an inexpensive ro/di unit. After calculating the cost of 5 gallon water containers and cost of water, I am not sure that it would be much cheaper to haul it home anyway. What am I looking for in a unit? What are the dos and don'ts associated with the installation and running of these units? I have no experience in this area, so, if I could good some advice on an inexpensive ro/di unit it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I am in the process of setting up my new system and will be using Kent Hi-S Maxxima R/O Unit 35G.P.D. at Big Al's Online I chose this unit, as it produces lab grade water at 99.9% purity. Some of the units will not remove some impurities such as silicates which will build up in your system overtime and can contribute to algea blooms.
They recommend a flush unit if you live in an area with Hard Water as the hard water shortens the life of the membrain.

If you do not like having to constantly do your FW top offs you can purchase Auto Top off units to directly run with your RO/DI unit... something I am personally looking into for my system.

Assuming you do a 15 gallon WC every 2 week that would cost you apprx. $273.00 yr (@ $3.50 p/5g jug)

Most new units will run you in the same price range (give or take a few $), but you have to also consider the Cartridge and membrane replacements every year which will run you over $100.00

So in the long run it will still work out in your advantage to purchase a unit for conviniance and cost.

That is about all I can say on this subject at this point, until I personally install my own unit.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
As water quality is the number one thing that determines the health of your fish and corals, it's important to get good water.

Don't forget, you'll also need topoff fresh water (RO/DI) between water changes.

We got a unit from here: RO/DI Systems
The customer service was excellent, and the unit came assembled, with full instructions and all inputs/outputs labeled. A TDS meter is a really good thing to have on your unit, so you can tell how good the water coming out is.

IMO, you should make sure the unit has standard sized cartridges, and that you can easily get replacements.

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
I ordered one from melevsreef, hopefully it will be here by Wed or Thur. Got the tank today and am gonna try to get a local rocket scientist to hook it all up for me:) Then a bit of sand and rock and cycling and I will be in business.... Cross your fingers, wish me luck and get ready for all my questions....