Questions Fresh Water

Sep 20, 2009
NY NY
www.rippmods.com
Hi guys - great forum...

I've been out of this for a while - 13 years - before that I had a tanks since I was 11 years old - ending with a beautiful 60gal high with a perfect South American Cichlid set up.

Anyway - A house 2 kids and the ability to sink a 32x18x13 40gal into my basement wall later I have a question.

I went with fresh water for maintenance sake - I went with a large 3 stage canister filter with a UV light. I went with the larger filter because I have a 60gal Hexagon tank that I may set up and split the filtering up.

Questions:
1) Do I need the UV light? I use the UV light in my pond to control algae growth.
2) My Beta went nuts when I moved these guys from there 2 year old 20gal to the 40. He's really gotten to be annoying - I want to take him out - any ideas?
3) How many fish are too many fish - I have 16 and a snail with nice PH and Nitrates/ites ---

I'll try to get names and pics up to show you my set up - its look sweet IMHO ;)

Thanks

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
One of our members has been working on a very scholarly solution to your question. Here is a slight modification to his FishsheetA6, which is a spreadsheet designed to help you determine optimum stocking levels for your tank. Just fill in the fields, being sure to go through each section, and read the results at the bottom. You can change various parameters to see how it will affect how many fish you can stock; for instance, if you change water more often or feed less often, you could stock a bit more heavily. This version still has a few notes meant for the developer; just ignore them.

(When you name your fish by color in your sig, I do hope you're only kidding and really do know what kind of fish you have.)

Sep 20, 2009
NY NY
www.rippmods.com
One of our members has been working on a very scholarly solution to your question. Here is a slight modification to his FishsheetA6, which is a spreadsheet designed to help you determine optimum stocking levels for your tank. Just fill in the fields, being sure to go through each section, and read the results at the bottom. You can change various parameters to see how it will affect how many fish you can stock; for instance, if you change water more often or feed less often, you could stock a bit more heavily. This version still has a few notes meant for the developer; just ignore them.

(When you name your fish by color in your sig, I do hope you're only kidding and really do know what kind of fish you have.)
This is a great tool - good idea - I'll play with this tonight - *thumbsups

Yes then sig is intended to give get giggle - but I want to get all the names correct, because I would be guessing (I'm real bad with names).

I was going to take pics and start getting them up.... but first work, then play...:mad: