questions from a newb....

Aug 22, 2011
hello all...i just bought an aussie wall mount fish tank for my wife's bday...measurements are 35" X 18" X 5" 6 gallon tank....she wants colorful fishes...im not sure if i should go freshwater or saltwater....what fishes can i get for my tank in saltwater vs freshwater? which one is easier to maintain? do i need bottomfeeders? lemme know as we have never owned an aquarium and are COMPLETE newbs...any suggestiions or comments would be appreciated...thanks

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Salt is probably going to be out of the question as its hard enough in a 10 gallon tank. I would suggest some of the small shrimp, they have some really kewl red and white banded type. Not sure what they are called. My local pet store has a small cube tank with a hand full of them in it. They are great looking pets. You could also do some white clouds or guppies. Others may have some better suggestion, I have not had community fish i a long time. Also read the beginners stuff about new tanks and cycling, there is a wealth of knowledge there to.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Cycling and maintenance will be the biggies to learn about before you even start deciding on the live occupants for the tank so do as McMopar suggests and then start asking questions. There are a lot of things to learn and think about, but it will make for a successful beginning.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Yeah. I wouldn't recommend cory cats and tetras. Betta is always an option as is shrimp. I wouldn't suggest much else in there for that size. True some tetras could live in there but it is inadvisable since they don't have much room to swim around.

zaeda

New Fish
Aug 23, 2011
Canada
I started with guppies and I think that is a really good option. They are pretty good starter fish. There are different colors of them so almost all of them look different from each other. That means you get a good variety. Guppies are also pretty hardy so they probably won't just die off. They mate very fast also so you can always have guppies in your tank :) By the way guppies are freshwater fish. You don't have to have a bottom feeder, just don't over feed your fish too much ;) You also have to make sure you cycle your tank first which you can look up online.

You could also try a betta. I haven't had one but I'm thinking about getting one. Bettas have long fins and are really pretty and bright. They are aslo freshwater fish. They are usually aggressive to other fish, especially there own kind so don't get more than one. Betttas are also pretty hardy fish. They can live with some other fish but not a lot but I think just one betta in your tank with some plants would look beatiful :)