Questions from a newbie, please advise...

funkybruce

Small Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Edgewater, Maryland
I joined this community a few months ago, and I am in the process of learning and researching before I start up my first tank. I have a few questions, and was wondering if some of the veteran keepers could help me understand some of this. I understand completely the Nitrogen Cycle (glad I did my reading, phew!).

My questions I guess are more equipment related. Cost is not really an object, as long as it is not out of control.

1-Canister versus HOB filtration. I see how both work, and see the price differential. I plan on getting a nice stand, so I will have room for a hidden canister underneath. My questions is this - do they REALLY filter that much better to justify the cost differential, and are they less routine maintanence? What would you recommend for a 55 or 70 gallon tank, 4 feet long? Please give model numbers etc. please.

2-The actual aquarium. I have seen some nice All-Glass and Oceanic tanks in the local stores around here, and I like their stands. Does one of these companies rise to the top, or are they both basically the same? Or is something out ther better? My piece has to fit the decor of the room, but I am really concerned about leaking. Do these units have a high percentage of leaking?

3-Does Bio-Spira really work as everyone says it does? I have found it. How soon thereafter do I add the fish? I really plan on fishless cycling so I can get practice with the nitrogen cycle fitst hand without fish to contend with. I may try this anyway if you say it works like it is stated.

Thanks everyone for your help with these questions. After the rugs get changed throughout the townhouse, and after the wood floors get laid (upstairs, not tank level), I will proceed with getting a tank setup. I'll be sure to post pictures. I am leaning towards a 70g Oceanic with Cherry Oak stand and canopy matching. Looks quite nice in the showroom at the LFS.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can actually fishless cycle with the biospira, just add the biospira and then do the fishless cycle normally. It'll considerably speed it up, so you may only have to wait a few days instead of a month or so.

I don't think any of the large tanks have a tendency to leak. The bigger tanks are generally better made than the cheapo 10 gallons.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Hey there Brice and Welcome to the tank! How exciting you are starting with a larger tank, I think you will be much happier than starting with a small one and immediately wishing you had a bigger one, something everyone experiences in this hobby lol. I will try to answer your questions here...
1. For a tank the size you are wanting I reccomend a Rena XP3 I have one on my 125 PLUS a HOB as a backup. Whats nice about a canister is depending on the fish you want to keep you can customize the trays in the canister for different things. And yes they DO really filter that much better than just a HOB because of the volume of water they can exchange in an hour. There is less maintenance and more enjoyment when it comes to your tank for one thing.
2. I have had a 125 all glass, and a 125 plexi and aside from their possible scratch instance I do like the plexi better because of the weight difference. I can pick up a plexi by myself and move it around (empty of course) vs. a glass one it took 3 MEN to get it in here and they were straining. In all the years and MANY tanks I have had, I have only ever had ONE tank leak on me so it really isnt a worry IMHE.
3. YES Bio-Spira DOES work, you add it to the tank and immediatley add your fish whaalaa..it is the ONLY one on the market that does what it says it will!
Good luck and HAPPY Fishkeeping! Will be waiting for pics!!

Methylx

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2006
Ft. Worth
www.myspace.com
I have a 75 gallon tank and for the first few months i was running an Emperor 400 filter. Its got two biowheels on it and inserts for 4 different catridges. I have Fluval Pre-Filter media in two slots and carbon filters in the other two. I was replacing these every two weeks on my tank. Now i've got a Fluval 403 canister that I just started running on my tank. In 24 hours the difference in water clearness and everything was astounding. Its been a month and I haven't changed anything out in the canister and it looks great still and levels are nominal. Now I just keep the Emperor 400 for the Bio-Wheels and I took the carbon out of it.

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Just throwing it out there because somebody needs to, but the Eheim 2215 and 2217 are more canister options to consider...

Between the Fluval, the Rena Filstars, and the Eheims - that pretty much covers most peoples' preferences, I think... :D

Welcome to the community - you'll find you and I are very much in the same boat, right down to planning on a 55 gallon tank (though I've had various 10 gallons in the past).

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey kudos to you doing your research. It will help immensely going down the road!

1-Canister versus HOB filtration. Here's my thing. I thought that HOB filters were awesome...till I got one for a bigger tank. I cannot STAND the noise when the water level goes down (I live in Colorado, lose an inch a week at LEAST in my tanks due to evaporation) Not to mention the maintenance with filter cartridges and bent/noisy impellers etc With Canister filters there is usually less splashing (or you can control it more, using a spraybar or just being able to direct the direction of the output) and you can close more of the lid of the tank. This is helpful for cutting down on evaporation as well as keeping heat in the winter and all year round keeping fish from jumping out (although, there are always those special few who can find even a three inch opening -=sigh=-) Anyway. I tried a Fluval on my 46 and its a good filter, although I had some issues setting it up and continue to have some whenever I take it apart with priming it etc...but overall its great. When I got my 55 I decided to spring for the Eheim because I realized the price wasn't THAT different (www.bigalsonline.com) and I will ALWAYS reccomend eheim canister filters from now on. I just got a 2nd one to replace the noisey HOB on the 29 in my living room...out of the box and set up and running in no time. To me, the HOB filters are for smaller tanks, or to use in addition to a canister on large tanks if you want to.

2- I've never heard of or had issues with large tanks leaking unless there is some incident that causes it (ie moving the tank, dropping it, hitting it with something etc) Putting a lot of strain on the tank in any direction can cause a seal to break, which is why it is important to always transport tanks right side up using even pressure and not setting them on uneven surfaces. I haven't heard anything bad about either AGA or Oceanic. Personally for asthetics if I was going to get a show tank to match the decor in a room I'd look at the bowfronts. Of course I may be biased...but I think my 46 bowfront (All-Glass) is just a REALLY pretty tank :)

3- YES Biospira really works as everyone says...as long as you follow the directions on the product and it has been handled/stored to spec. If its not a fresh package or hasn't been refrigerated...or you put it in a tank with a big ammonia issue then you're not likely to see any 'magical' results. I'm not entirely sure what the package says exactly, but I am pretty sure you can add the biospira and add fish almost immediately. If I were doing it I think I'd probably add the biospira to the tank when its at the right temp, then go shopping for my fish and by the time you get home and get them acclimated...you should be good. I definitely like the idea of fishless cycling though, especially for a new person so that they can get all of their equipment bugs figured out during the cycle when there aren't fish in the way. Plus its like forcing you to have an empty tank and not get any fish, so a you have plenty of time to rethink your stocking plans over and over and over :)

Etheostoma

Large Fish
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Bravo on a very fine introduction! Welcome to the tank. Watch out for the Oscars (they're mean).

No sense posting redundancy, the above is sound information. Although I really do like waiting a week after setting the tank up and seeding it. It gives me time to visualize the effect I'm going for and I can tinker with the decorations without stressing my fish.

Remember though; acrylic and glass require their own specific maintenance. For example, although I'd never recommend using windex on any tank (ammonia being generally bad for fish) , if you used windex on an acrylic tank it'll haze, permanently.

You don't appear to have any problems doing your homework, so I'm confident you're off to a superb start.

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Hi Brice, just thought I'd add a few thoughts that haven't already been mentioned:

funkybruce said:
1-Canister versus HOB filtration. I see how both work, and see the price differential. I plan on getting a nice stand, so I will have room for a hidden canister underneath.
Canister would be my choice. Not just because they seem to be quieter, but also they're more flexible. Also, if you later plan to have live plants and supplement with injected CO2 - then the canister filters will be better. For planted tanks, the bio-wheels and increased surface agitation of most HOBs will cause gas-off of CO2.

funkybruce said:
2-The actual aquarium. I have seen some nice All-Glass and Oceanic tanks in the local stores around here, and I like their stands. Does one of these companies rise to the top, or are they both basically the same? Or is something out ther better? My piece has to fit the decor of the room, but I am really concerned about leaking. Do these units have a high percentage of leaking?
It seems that most major brands are of adequate quality. For larger-sized tanks, it seems that the question is 'glass' or 'acrylic'. Glass will have more risk of leaking/breaking and is heavier than acrylic, but will not scratch as easily as acrylic. Also, acrylic is a better temp insulator and tends to have more options in terms of shape design.

funkybruce said:
3-Does Bio-Spira really work as everyone says it does? I have found it. How soon thereafter do I add the fish? I really plan on fishless cycling so I can get practice with the nitrogen cycle fitst hand without fish to contend with. I may try this anyway if you say it works like it is stated.
Properly stored Bio-Spira tends to work correctly, as long as fish are added very soon after adding the product. The reasoning is that the bacteria need a source of 'food', so the fish need to be added soon to start producing that 'food'...otherwise, the Bio-Spira bacteria will just die-off. I think the tank still goes through a bit of a 'mini-cycle' for a couple days, so it's probably best to add the hardiest fish you plan to stock first - and then add the more fragile fish a few days later.

Good luck with the new tanks. I'm new to the hobby too, and it's much more interesting having all the info that's out there - as opposed to having fish in the pre-internet days (what's a cycle?). :)

funkybruce

Small Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Edgewater, Maryland
Thanks to everyone for the answers - I think I have everythign ready to go, that is...once the carpets are replaced and the wood floors are laid. I would hate to empty a thousand pounds to lay wood floors, and then redo it all again. I'll be sure to post pics once everything is set in place!

Brice

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd say that without a doubt Oceanic tanks are much higher quality than almost any other commonly available tank. The stands are made better, the tanks are made with care. I don't think you would regret spending a little extra on one if you want something top-of-the-line.