QUESTIONS

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
Well today around 9:15 I bought a Blonde Delta Guppy and a Broadleaf Sagatarian. I checked the parameters and they are as followed:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia:.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0-.25 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

The fish are:

1 Turquoise Guppy Male
1 Blonde Delta Guppy Male
3 Ghost Shrimp

Now is this normal for the tank, I got the Turquoise Guppy yesterday and the Blonde Delta Guppy today. Also, I am thinking of a few more guppys(Yellow, Red and Gold Delta, Tequila Delta) for the tank, but when I get my 20g what would you say would be some good tank mates. I was thinking of a couple of Koi Swordtails. And has anyone ever heard of Koi Swordtails?

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Short answer,no.

I have however seen "christmas" soward(spl?) Ill see if I can find a link.......Dam cant find them they do exsist and they are very cool looking they have a bit of a koi look abiut them,but the white patches are slightly seethrough!

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
I just googled the kio ones.

The look the same to me. lovely looking fish!

Funny how I could not find them under the Christmas name.

Will you go for them?

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That sounds/looks like a cycle that was already partial before adding the fish (like you had partially fishless cycle or the tank was previously going and all the bacteria didn't die off). Just because the ammonia should be dropping before you get nitrates at all. Hopefully that means the cycle will be faster for you. I'm not sure how sensitive ghost shrimp are, but with the fish at least you want to do a water change whenever ammonia or nitrites hit 2ppm (or before then, just keep it under 2ppm). The plants will also help use up some ammonia for you.

I've heard of koi swordtails somewhere recently. They didn't really appeal to me, but to each his own. The guppy in your avatar is gorgeous.