Quick Driftwood question

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
How soon would I see tannins and brown water when soaking driftwood? I have a small piece, and I've been soaking it in the same water... about 1.5 gallons, for 5 days. The water is hardly discolored at all... would I have seen lots of discoloration by now if it was going to leach stuff out? Or, since there's practically no discoloration, can I assume it'd be fine in a tank now?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Usually you'll see some discoloration within that time frame if it's going to be a problem. Put something white in the water to be sure you're not being fooled. Sometimes it's pretty subtle. I like the effect, so I don't really worry except for one particular tank in our family room which is frequently viewed from the side (so a background won't hide the effect) -- my father kept complaining it looked like someone peed in it, so I just left one small, tannin-free piece of driftwood with java moss attached and replaced the offending wood with a small stone pile. :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It was in a 5g tank, which I then filled up as a hospital tank for a f. betta last night, and the discoloration disappeared into 5 gallons. If that's going to be the extent of the discoloration, I guess it won't be a problem in 20 gallons :D. Thanks. I just didn't want it to be something that increased over time...

Sep 8, 2005
I run an extra micron filter in my xp3 and the water is so clear it's blue. My driftwood and african rootwood did discolor the water over time despite boiling it and soaking it. So if you don't want the look of tannins try this.