quick HOB question

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i have a hob filter that came with the tank.. i don't plan on using it with the carbon because i have read horror stories.. can i put cheto in it and kinda use it as a sump or something? can this be done with out having it flow into the main tank? or if anyone has any other ideas on what i can use it for let me know! Thanks

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Has anyone turned their HOB into a fuge?. like if i put a piece of foam and some miracle mud or something in there? will this help my pod population? will they go into the main tank by themself or will i have to put them in there?. what are some other bennefits of chaeto besides lower nitrates..any help would be great! Thanks again
~ Jim

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I turned an aquaclear 70 into a fuge on both my 75 and 20g. Limi on the nano forum had a link complete with pictures. I run my charcoal and rowaphos in there now......and in my 20 I have my heater and some extra live rock rubble.....they add good water flow and if lit could be a place to add some macro.....good way to use old equipment.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I think Josh also tried this (Lordroad) on his ten nano or was thinking about it (cant remeber which)

he hasnt been on in a while with his moving and everything but I talked to him a little bit ago and said he would be on shortly.

Seems like a few people have used it with benefits. As for the sponge I would say just go with the miracle mud.